Monday, March 28, 2011

I want you...to read my first blog post; pretty please with cream & sugar on it.

I’m an avid reader. I read romance of all kinds and chick lit with some cozy mysteries thrown into the mix.

I find much of real value in fictional novels.

Sometimes I read a sentence or a paragraph and it resonates with truth.

“If you can’t be a good example, you’ll just have to be a horrible warning.” (1)

Other times I might chance upon a passage that is worded so well it makes me shiver with pleasure or howl with laughter or tingle with lust.

“Around her she can feel a soft, rustling awareness, as if the plants are talking in very quiet whispers. What do plants think about?” (2)

Still other times I find words; new words I love; vaguely familiar words I like but never use in everyday conversations.

Recently I encountered this word in a certain novel and now I know that I have a ‘quixotic’ (3) nature; which is sometimes good, sometimes not.

I enjoy curse words and new ways of cursing without curse words.

A favorite novel taught me that the original Wonder Woman used the phrase “Sufferin Sappho” when she wanted to curse.(4)

Novels also introduce me to new music or remind me of old music I’d forgotten.

‘Kirsty MacColl’ (4 again, same novel)  was new to me.
‘Ever Fallen In Love With Someone by the Buzzcocks’ (5) was familiar and loved but forgotten.

Artists are also mentioned in novels.

‘Johannes Vermeer’ (6) is featured in at least two novels.

Novel characters watch movies, too.

What famous novel character loves the movie ‘Ghostbusters?’ (7)

These treasured words, sentences, paragraphs, phrases or passages, music, artists or movies that I find while I’m reading are going to be the offerings of my blog.

I invite you to show up when you can; with or without findings of your own. Be you a lurker or a commenter, you’re welcome here.

I‘m going to post the first comment with my answers to 1-7. Are your answers the same? A different author? A different novel? Did I stump you?

Next time we’ll talk about that ‘tingle with lust’ thing; just for learning purposes. Yeah that’s right; learning purposes.

Cyber-see you then.

10 comments:

  1. (1) Faking It by Jennifer Crusie (novel character Gwen Goodnight says this)
    (2) How To Bake A Perfect Life by Barbara O’Neal
    (3) Raziel: The Fallen by Kristina Douglas (quixotic means excessively romantic)
    (4) Don’t Look Down by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer
    (5) Can’t Stand The Heat by Louisa Edwards
    (6) Girl With the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier and Girl In Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland
    (7) Two For the Dough by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum loves Ghostbusters - Morelli not so much because it doesn’t even have Deniro)

    Course I could say a lot more about each of these. Oh wait. I probably will, eventually. That’s why I created this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely :) My first blog post was: "Is this thing on?" (or the equivalent) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Judy, Judy, Judy! Good to see you in the blogosphere! We seem to like a few of the same authors. You've got good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogging world! May I link you to mine? (I do this for many reasons, the first being purely selfish, it's easier for me to find you if all I have to do is click from my own place. But I always like to ask first.)

    Great start, I knew some of those!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great first post, Judy. I was actually planning on asking around if Barbara O'Neal's books were any good and going by that passage I'm thinking the answer would be yes...perfect timing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phyllis - tee hee hee - I am absolutely not a techno wiz of any sort. It's partly due to my daughter's computer skillz the I got this far.

    Kate - so we do. And, of course, one of these days there will be a Kate George blog. Maybe I'll wait for the Hammie book, maybe not.

    Julie - I thought everybody would know the first one. That is a famous Crusie line. Of course, Faking It is one of my favorite Crusie books.

    Kris - I highly recommend all 3 of O'Neal's books. I just love her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, naturally I got the Crusie ones. The others, I'm afraid, not so much. Clearly, I need to read more romance. Great first post (but then I already knew it would be ;) ). I'll be sure to link you into the new digs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey lady! Welcome to the blogosphere!

    I second the recommend for all of Barbara Samuel's books (aka Barbara O'Neal) - she's faboo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun blog spot! I will spread the word. BTW Jennifer Crusie has written some of my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's up, always i used to check web site posts here early in the morning, for the reason that i like to learn more and more.

    My blog post homepage

    ReplyDelete