Friday, April 15, 2011

Romance Suspense Novels: No Such Thing As A Secret, No Such Thing As A Good Blind Date, No Such Thing As A Free Lunch, No Such Thing As A Free Ride, Author: Shelly Fredman

Meet Brandy Alexander; loyal…
“Well maybe I went a little too far, but - it’s who I am, Bobby. I can’t stand by and watch the bullies win. And maybe I don’t always think things through, and maybe I don’t always get it right, but I’m never going to just sit by and do nothing while there are people in the world who can’t fight for themselves.” (1)

Tongue-in-cheek witty…
“Bobby felt terrible and asked if there was anything he could do to make it up to me. Gazing into his deep blue eyes, I could think of a few things, but nothing that wouldn’t require a trip to confession in the morning.” (1)

Endearing nut…
“Bobby smiled and pulled me to my feet. “You’re exhausted and you’re afraid to go to sleep. I’ll stay with you until you drift off.”
“I’m not afraid,” I countered, letting him lead me up the stairs. “But if it makes you feel better, you can stay.”
“Thanks.”…
“Could you turn on the night light, please?” I yawned. “In case you need some light when you leave,” I added.
“That’s very considerate of you.” (1)

Laugh-out-loud funny…
“The second drink had worked its way around my brain, and I hoped I didn’t start saying things I’d regret later, like when I had nitrous oxide at the dentist’s and told Dr. Calahan that I loved him.” (1)

Meet Bobby DiCarlo; handsome cop…
“He looked wonderful. Dammit. Dark, wavy hair, slightly disheveled, five o’clock shadow on his near-perfect face and newly formed muscles traveling up and down his lean, six-foot-one-inch body.” (2)

Unhappily married:
“A year and a half after I moved to Los Angeles I heard that Bobby had gotten married. It’s not a happy union but a two-year-old daughter keeps them together. After the up-bringing he’d had, Bobby would never abandon his kid.” (2)

To a psycho named Marie:
“I know all about Marie. She jeopardized my daughter’s life and she left you here to die.”  (2)

Meet Nick Santiago: sexy bad ass…
“His hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail, revealing the tiny silver cross he wore in his left ear. On his wrist was a silver band. …He hadn’t shaved in a day or so and a slight shadow edged his jaw line. He was undeniably beautiful and yet it wasn’t his most compelling quality. Damned if I knew what was. I only knew that it kept me coming back for more.” (3)

Brings out the best in Brandy…
“Nick it’s Brandy. I’m sorry I haven’t called you back, but I’ve had, um..pink eye…It can be very debilitating.” Oh God is there any way to erase this? “Anyway, I just wanted to say that it was very nice of you to humor my mother by telling her you’d come for dinner, but it’s totally unnecessary. I’m sure you have better things to do, so-” BEEP. Shit. “Hi, it’s me again. Anyway, we’re not even having dinner tomorrow night. My mother drinks a lot and she gets mixed up. So, uh, I’ll talk to you later. Bye.” (3)

And there’s his sidekick, Alphonso:
“Alphonso was just walking back into the living room…  “Take it easy there, Sweetcakes. Someone went to a lot of trouble to hide this. It might be booby trapped. Let me go first.”
“I appreciate the chivalry, but that’s not fair. Why would you put yourself in danger like that?”
“Because Santiago would kill me if I let anything happen to you. This way I’ve got a fifty-fifty chance of survival.” (4)

And in this wonderful Philly world that Shelly Fredman has created, there are a whole host of colorful, lovable characters. The books are mysteries with romance thrown in. Sometimes Brandy’s friends are a help and sometimes a hindrance; in both the romance and the mystery department.

“Jeez Janine. Have a little faith. I’m perfectly capable of taking care of a toddler for a few hours. I’ve babysat before.” Okay so maybe she was remembering the time when we were fourteen and we’d started a babysitting service, and we accidentally left six-year-old Benny Shapiro at the mall. It could happen to anyone. And it’s not like we didn’t find him again.” (4)

Always Brandy and crew are entertaining and enlightening.

All this refers to the No Such Thing As series written by Shelly Fredman. So far she has written 4 books: 1 NSTA A Secret / 2 NSTA A Good Blind Date / 3 NSTA A Free Lunch / 4 NSTA A Free Ride.

For those of  us who’ve read 1-4 and want more, Shelly says: “I’m working on the 5th book in the Brandy Alexander series, but it’s too soon to estimate a release date.”

Be eligible to win the first book in the series, No Such Thing As A Secret, by posting a comment to this blogpost today the 15th, Sat 16th or Sun 17th.  Shelly herself will pick one winner from the comments and I'll announce who the lucky person is on this blog on Wednesday the 20th.

Course in my book, everyone who reads this blog is a winner!

15 comments:

  1. i grew up not far from Philly....actually a little ways over the bridge ...and have been living in Holland for over 30 years......of course we have some serious chocolate in the land of windmills but not the cheese steaks from the south street neighborhood. Does Brandy make deliveries ? ....speak a second language ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, you have a blog now! /stalking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I haven't read anything in this series and I need to get started, so sign me up. Hey, do I get a better chance if I bombard you with comments? Or suck up? Because I'm not above either of those things. Just so you know.

    I'm going to go fantasize about that Nick character now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love the Brandy Alexander books! I'm definitely a Nick girl. :D I know Shelly is on like chapter 4 or 5 of the new book, and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing series. The characters are great, and the plots are wonderfully written. There seem to be so many mystery series available these days, but this one is definitely one of the best. I look forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silent Lotus - You have connections everywhere it seems. Must be fun to be so mobile.

    Michelle - You are welcome to stalk me. Be prepared for a big to-be-read list, though!

    Dee - You have already appealed to Shelly's heart. She, who created the characters of Bobby and Nick, has a slight bias towards Nick. I, on the other hand am a Bobby fan. I picture Bobby as Ed Marinaro from his long ago Hill Street Blue Days.

    Jenny - I'm so glad there will be a number 5.

    brad - If you've read Shelly's facebook or yahoo group you know, they are so good because she waits for inspiration before writing them. No formulas for Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More new books to read, so little time, now I'm hooked on the voice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey guys, I don't know if I'm allowed to comment yet or not, but, well, if you know Brandy, you know me, and I can never stay quiet about anything. Thank you for your posts! And as for Ed Marinaro--ooh, YES, I can definitely see that! And anyone who is thinking about buying my books, please check out my website first. I wouldn't want anyone to put money down without having a good idea if they'll like the series. You can read chapter excerpts. Okay, I'm done...I think. :) Oh, and THANK YOU JUDE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy, you're going to send me to the poorhouse with all these great book recommendations. Off to check out the excerpts on Shelley's website now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kris, and she's sending me off to the library request site on a nearly daily basis now too!

    Thank you Judy and thank you Shelly!!!

    Julie
    (who must now go bug my local ibrarians, again)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds deliciously funny! So many great reads...So little time!
    Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always happy to discover another series. Will check out Shelley's site, too. Thanks for holding the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kris, Julie, Ruthie and MJ - It's funny but when I started this blog I didn't think of myself as promoting books. I was always reading something and thinking - that is so true - or that is so beautifully worded - or that is so funny, genuine, etc.
    That I'm building up to-be-read lists is kind of a bonus.
    And you can't go wrong with Shelly's books, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the "No such thing" series! However, they should come with a warning - you will need a steady supply of chocolate and/or Tastykakes on hand as you read them. I found any time Brandy had a craving, I did too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. And we don't even have tastykakes here.

      Delete