Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A pirate's life for me.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome.” Captain Jack Sparrow

What? Wait just a gosh darned minute. That’s not from a book. That’s from a movie. What does she think she’s doing? She blogs about books.

“It was a good plan... up 'til now.” AnnaMarie

Joking - it’s still a good plan. Just not today. Today I want to blog about truths from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Why? I’m a Johnny Depp fan but I hadn’t seen any of these movies. My gkids recently saw #4 in the theatre and decided I needed to get caught up so we could watch it together when it comes out on DVD. So I’ve seen all of the first three movies this week. We’re lucky I’m not blogging in that atrocious Jamaican? Haitian? Caribbean? accent of AnnaMarie’s.

“This is either madness... or brilliance.” Will Turner

It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.” Captain Jack Sparrow

I favor brilliance. Of course, I’m a Depp fan. I thoroughly enjoyed the movies.

“I leave you people alone for just a minute and look what happens. Everything’s gone to pot!” Captain Jack Sparrow

Says Jack when he escapes from the island where he’s been stranded. Is anyone reminded of Arthur Dent? Ford Prefect? Remember in one of those Hitch Hiker books by Douglas Adams when Arthur Dent is stranded on an island for years. A space ship swoops down and a man insults him. The man is going through the alphabet insulting everyone in the universe in ABC order. He has reached Dent. He insults him, then flies off and leaves him still stranded.

“If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.” Captain Jack Sparrow

So, what’s happened lately that’s made you feel like you missed your chance? I can’t think of anything off hand but I know there’s something.

“Elizabeth… it would never have worked between us darling. I’m sorry… Will… nice hat. Friends… This is the day that you will ALWAYS remember as the day that you almost captured Captain Jack Sparrow.” You know who

In the movies every time he ran into a woman she slapped him. Do you suppose JD goes home and Vanessa Paradis slaps him? Probably not. They seem happy and settled with cute kiddies and all.

Then again, they live in France. Now we know, they’re strides ahead in their democratic-ness but they treat their women as if they are cute but dumb.

If you don’t know the story - Betty Fokker blogs about it here:

http://bettyfokker.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/i-couldnt-have-said-it-better-myownself/

And London Mabel blogs about it here: http://www.mabeltalk.com/2011/06/whos-backwards-caveman-now-huh-france.html

“Do us a favor... I know it's difficult for you... but please, stay here, and try not to do anything... Stupid.” Captain Jack Sparrow

Don’t you hate it when you have to say this to someone? Especially someone who holds part of your fate in their hands - a boss or coworker, for example.

“You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?” Captain Jack Sparrow

Tehehe - One could say this about one’s children sometimes, eh? I was at a rodeo with a friend. Her daughter was being obnoxious. It was very loud so she was yelling. She yelled at the top of her voice - “Stop doing that or I’ll rip the lips off your face.” Just as the sound level dropped. And everyone looked at us. As if we were child abusers. Of course, she was being funny. She’d never have done it. As far as I know.

“Me? I’m dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It’s the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they’re going to do something incredibly… stupid.” Captain Jack Sparrow

Those of us on the low road understand this. Of course, we live with hockey players and chocolate and bacon.

“You know that feeling you get when you’re standing in a high place… sudden urge to jump?… I don’t have it.” Captain Jack Sparrow

Ah yes. That feeling when I know what I need to do but I don’t want to do it. I’m having it lately. Except the knowing what I need to do part.

“Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.” Captain Jack Sparrow

Of course it’s not. Sometimes it’s diamonds or rubies. I don’t mean that. The real treasure is love, dearies. Love.

In closing let’s all follow the wise advice of Captain Jack Sparrow and:

“Drink up me hearties. Yo ho.”

Something with rum, preferably. Right Jack?





Right ho Judy, Judy, Judy. Right ho.





 


5 comments:

  1. Girl, you know how to get my attention--a pic of johnny depp. I've seen pirates 2 and 3 and enjoy them greatly despite what I consider their creepiness (i don't like the cgi critters/tentacles on people's faces a la davy jones) and I did shout a bad word at keira knightly's character when she abandoned jack to the kraken in flick 2. Tart.

    :) Thank you for the quotes. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I especially love that first one. I plan to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmydearfreakingawd I ADORE Capt Jack!!! Well, I adored Johhny Depp before, so this would make sense.
    (No seriously, I actually adore him, as in, I have a wee figurine my kids bought for me, on an altar.)
    Julie
    (Who may have to go lie down now.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie - There are ways in which we are so sympatico!

    Delia - okay no rum. You may have the drink of your choice and Johnny & I will share the rum.

    ReplyDelete