Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Romance Comedy Novel: Mad About Mia, Author: Millie Criswell

If you like Crusie try Criswell

“Damn, but it was hard to hate a man whose taste in chocolate was this good!” Mad About Mia by Millie Criswell
<This upon finding a two pound box of chocolates in her underwear drawer.>


"Everyone knew happiness pounds were the hardest to lose."  Mad About Mia by Millie Criswell
<On the surface that would seem to resonate truth but I’m not sure I believe it. I think pounds are hard to lose no matter what put them on and the problem is physical in nature, not emotional.>

I found this author on a list - if you like Jennifer Crusie try: Millie Criswell. It would have been cruel to expect Crusie level genius and I didn’t expect or find it.

I did find some commonalities, though;

Quirky characters that I loved - “Dad will be the one in sequins. He’s a cross-dresser…” Mad About Mia by Millie Criswell


Snarky dialogue - “Mia stared meaningfully at the woman’s low-cut dress and exposed cleavage. “And how do I know that your boobs are real? I bet you have enough silicone in there to float a ship.” Mad About Mia by Millie Criswell

I hate romance novels and even other novels with a side of romance, where the two eventual lovebirds spend very little time together. Crusie doesn’t do that. Her lovers always have lots of face time. So do Criswells.

Criswell does one thing that Crusie hates and rarely does - deceit. One lover is deceiving the other in some way and there is the big reveal / betrayal.

All in all Mad About Mia was a light, enjoyable read. It appears to be the last in a 4 book series about a group of friends. The other books are - What To Do About Annie, The Trouble With Mary, The Trials of Angela.


Criswell has written 26 romance novels. She’s won many awards. I didn’t find anything after 2006 or any mention of why she hasn’t written anything since then.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think.  Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.  ~A.A. Milne

Knowing that Millie Criswell has a whole backlog of books just waiting for me to read 'em, I'm experiencing one of those moments,
y’all. And maybe I'll eat some honey, too.

5 comments:

  1. I've never tried one of hers. I'll have to look her up, y'know, after all the other stuff you put on my list. I know, poor me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You almost had me sold but the deceit thing...hate that crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm with Delia, name has to go on the list. If I know about the deceit thing ahead of time, I'm usually okay.
    Julie
    (who also will read the end to find out who might have Done It; not a fan of surprises, live for spoilers)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess in the end I'm ok with anything if it's well done. Like, people are tired of "the rom com run" in movies, usually paired with the Last Minute Public Declaration of Love. But I was rewatching Crocodile Dundee for the first time in 20(??) years and that was one of the few scenes I remembered, and I know why--because it's awesomesauce. ;-) Or like While You Were Sleeping, which I only just finally saw. (I haven't listened to the pop dialogue yet, but I assume the deceit is what they meant by the weak premise? But they still rated it high.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah - I'm okay with it, too. I do get bugged, though, when the deceiver passes up chance after chance to tell the truth until the end of the book. I feel like the hero in Mad About Mia could have told her earlier.
    Even Crusie does it sometime. In Don't Look Down J.T. was deceiving Lucy for about half the book.
    It didn't bother me in either of the movies you mention, London Mabel.

    ReplyDelete