Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Romance Novels: Comforting books

Mashed Potatoes With Gravy and a Really Good Book

I'm having the week from hell so I've been rereading COMFORT books. You know:

Any book by Jennifer Crusie, currently Welcome To Temptation

Several Rachel Gibson's but this time, Truly, Madly Yours, an old one that I love, and Any Man of Mine, her latest that I love

Any Erin McCarthy, currently her latest, The Chase

All of Lani Diane Rich's, currently The Comeback Kiss

That's not to say that I haven't read a new book or two. Mostly because I am comforted by the fact that the author always delivers an HEA I can get behind. Sometimes an HFN (happily for now) will work but the way things are going I really need my HEA's.

Stephanie Bond's new, Baby, Come Home - The second book in the Southern Roads trilogy. They are in order; Baby, Drive South (May, 2011), Baby, Come Home (June 2011) and Baby, Don't Go (coming out in November, 2011)

Apparently Bond has put a hold on the Body Mover's series, which I love, because there is some activity about making it a tv series. I wish someone would point out to her that if Evanovich had been bullied into waiting for the One For the Money movie to be actual reality before continuing with her Plum books, they probably would have stalled out at #10.

I hesitate to say this but I feel I must. The book that has given me the most pleasure, the most throw-back-my-head-and-laugh-with-abandon moments, lately is a book by Dav Pilkey entitled, Super Diaper Baby 2. It's not meant to be a grown up book, the villain is accidentally turned into a pee monster. Yes, that's pee as in pee pee.

My grandson counted the days until the book came out. Then when it arrived he, my granddaughter and I, sat down to read it. It's hysterically funny. There's a take-off on How The Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Zeuss that almost made me pee.

I don't want to make promises I can't keep so I am going to say tenatively that I'll be back with a post laden with truth that I've gleaned from some new novel someday after the temperatures have gone down (currently in the 90's with a heat index of 100+) and the humidity has gone down (currently in the 'you-won't-be-able-to-breath-if-you-step-outside-range) and my car is fixed (broke down on a dark, windy, highway on my way to report to work at 1am last evening) and the oven works (lightning struck it 3 weeks ago) and the refrigerator is fixed (compressor is going out).

On the bright side, the pool reopened and I swam today!

What's giving you comfort at the moment?

BTW the one thing that continues to give me pleasure regardless of what's going on in my life at the moment, is writing Hungry Ghosts so - everybody knock wood as they read this - they should continue to appear every Friday with no problem.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the truth is that you need to laugh. :) FGBVs that your week (and heat index) improves.

    And also? Your title to this post is my idea of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Delia said, but add in some frosting.
    Julie
    (Yay pool!)

    ReplyDelete