Friday, October 14, 2011

I couldn't help myself

Those of you who read the bettyverse may have recently read a guest blogpost I wrote about participating in pirate radio. I speak of the nineties when I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico and spent a great deal of my time as a direct activist, trying to rid the world of injustice.
The anger I felt from all the information about injustice coming towards me, nearly did me in. I came to the conclusion that the best thing I could do for the world, and myself, was to live the change I wanted to see in the world.
So I left Albuquerque and moved on to my next incarnation in this lifetime.

I still like to be informed. Especially by snarky, intelligent women like Betty Fokker. I usually leave the ranting to people like her. She's better qualified than I am to back up my rant.

You know what's coming, right? A rant. I can't resist but I'll try to make it a little one.

I live with my mother. Long story short, I moved here to help her take care of my dad so he could spend his final years at home. He died. I still live with her. For two reasons - one, she's in her 70's and she's never lived alone, ever. Nor does she want to. And - two, my grandkids are here within ten miles and it would require a team of Clydesdales to drag me away from them.

Anywho - she likes to drive me crazy with the television. Case in point, I was trying to eat my breakfast before going to my sucky job and she has on Good Morning America. I swear she turns this shit on to make me nuts and she herself never pays attention to it.

First we have the marriage expert. She tells us that 50 % of women aren't getting married these days. You know why? Because we have achieved, wait for it, get this...GENDER ECONOMIC EQUALITY... and women don't have to get married anymore. In fact, a lot of women are apparently having difficulty finding a man who makes as much or more money than they do to get married to.

Do you know any of these women? Because I don't.

Then comes on a male person of color who has written a book about how racism isn't significantly holding anyone back in this country anymore.

Does he know that I live in a place where I'm afraid to put Obama's campaign sticker in my yard or on my car? I don't fear for myself but my 70 year old mom and my grandkids would also be targets. And my car runs, dammit. Does he see the car in the lot at work that has a sticker on the back that insinuates that Pelosi wants to eradicate grandma and the faux license plate in front with a rebel flag? Does he know that a lot of tea partiers are racists in not so clever disguises?

Add to that the fact that these programs cater to the billion dollar weight loss industry and know nothing of body acceptance.

I could go on and on but instead I'll get to the heart of what really bothers me. There are people watching this bullshit and accepting it without question. What kind of denial do you have to live in to think women are earning equally with men in the workplace? What do you have to turn away from to believe racism is no longer an issue?

How deaf, dumb and blind do you have to be to keep from picking up the damn tv and hurling it out the window?

I'm sure that's what I'd do if I had to watch any one of these shows very often.

Rant over. Somebody tell me a good joke!

9 comments:

  1. (Hey, you commented on my blog just as I was coming over here! Hallos!)

    The most I would say, in re. women, is that they're more likely to be able to pay their own way in life these days (to have their own careers) and this might affect getting-married rates. In that, they don't need a husband in order to get the things they want.

    And I can buy that couple life can be easier when there's only one Type A personality, or one Career High Achiever, so to speak. So when that person is the woman in the relationship, she often pairs with a more laid-back guy. (A "beta male" so to speak.) Which is cool.

    But NONE of this is the same as having economic equality!! That's unbelievably ridiculous. Just one fact alone--that many of the lowest paid work sectors are those filled with women (teaching, nursing, retail.)

    And the racism thing is too-stupid-to-live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (PS I love hearing the interesting lives my lady friends have lived. Must go read your Bettyverse post. And I enjoyed your rant!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. for my son's social studies class, he has to watch tv news every morning for 20 minutes. I hate it. We landed on CNN as the least offensive and it still makes me twitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Judy, you are so right.

    I dislike TV in general, but the news especially. More times than not they're stretching to fill their half hour or hour. I'd rather read the news online than listen to the high pitched excited voices reporting the doom and gloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. There are few things that irritate me more than having the TV on in the morning. All of those political experts irritate me. I have to *back away from* the editorial page in our local paper, which is full of people who don't know what they're talking about trying to sound as if they do. Maybe you should get her a pair of those wireless headphones. I saw them at Costco a few weeks ago, I don't remember exactly how much they cost but it doesn't seem like they're horribly expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does my heart good to be in the company of so many intelligent women! The evil tv people will have to work a lot harder to take over the world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how I missed this for three days...

    You are so very correct.
    Good Rant!! Those evil telepromter readers!! Where did the REAL news people go, the ones that looked into stories and tried to report the facts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A guy walks into a bar with a duck under his arm.

    The bartender says, "Hey, you can't bring that pig in here."

    The guy says, "I beg your pardon. This isn't a pig, it's a duck."

    The bartender says, "I beg your pardon. I was talking to the duck."

    No? How about this one...

    A guy went to the men's room at work, the Boss had placed a sign directly above the sink. It had a single word on it -- "Think!"

    The next day, when he went to the men's room, he looked at the sign and right below, immediately above the soap dispenser, someone had carefully lettered another sign which read -- "Thoap!"

    Thank you. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judie - I know. My journalism teacher is shaking a finger at them even from her grave.

    Delia - hehehe - you know how to hit my very easily hit, silly, funny bone!

    ReplyDelete