Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Romance Novel: The Peach Keeper, Author: Sarah Addison Allen

PeacE and PeacHes

"If anyone had been paying attention to the signs, they would have realized that air turns white when things are about to change, that paper cuts mean there's more to what's written on the page than meets the eye, and that birds are always out to protect you from things you don't see." The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

If you have read my blog for a while you know, I've talked about SAA before. Here I talked about her book, Garden Spells. And, on May 9th I talked about The Girl Who Chased the Moon. For some reasons my archives won't yield that one up right now.

Anyway - I love Sarah Addison Allen. Her truths resonate with me. And she creates worlds I want to live in.

"Being met by the sharp scent of chocolate mingling with the moist scent of brewing coffee had a dark, secretive feel to it, like Willa had finally found the perfect place to hide." The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

Who wouldn't want to be there? Not only does heroine Willa own the sporting goods store that contains this wonderful coffee shop, she doesn't have to run it. Her magical assistant, Rachel, runs the shop while keeping a journal of what people drink and their mood when they order it, developing a coffee-drinkers science. (Of course, she could have created even more magic if she had Robena or her mother to read the coffee dregs left in the bottom of her drinkers' mugs.)

All Willa has to do is drink the coffee and eat freshly baked oatmeal cookies with coffee icing. Yum.

"...He had abuse written all over him. It had happened to him. He had delivered it. It was so much a part of his psyche that he couldn't look at another person and not imagine how they would look with bruises." The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

Have you ever met people like this? They make you uncomfortable for no particular reason you can name. My thing is, I don't want to ignore the warnings my psyche sends me and yet I don't want to judge people unjustly.

"Fate never promises to tell you everything up front. You aren't always shown the path in life you're supposed to take. But, if there was one thing she'd learned in the past few weeks, it was that sometimes, when you're really lucky, you meet someone with a map." The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

I've had people like that in the past. People with a map to where I want to be. Sometimes I can take the path they took, and other times I just have to blaze my own trail. If there's one of those people out there at the moment, make yourself known, would you? I'd like to know if I'm headed in the right direction.

It's funny but I bought this book thinking the title of it was The PeacE Keeper. Then I put it on the shelf and didn't read it forever. I'm not sure why. When I picked it up to read it, I saw the title was the PeacH Keeper.

PeacE, PeacH, whatever. Sarah Addison Allen has written yet another wise and entertaining read.

3 comments:

  1. I liked this one, though I found the climax left me wanting. I preferred Garden Spells. It had more spunk. Still, her writing is rich and full of texture. Good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...chocolate and coffee. Two of my favorite flavors. Sounds like a good writer to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Garden Spells -- I think it was you that lead me down that path.

    I always love the quotes that you share with us -- Chocolate and coffee.... mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete