Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Paranormal Romance Novel: Witch Ever Way You Can, Author: Deborah Blake

 Debbie Does Dallas - Oops - I Mean Fiction.

“Oh, for the Goddess’s sake. This guy probably had more problems than any ten Witches could possibly solve, no matter how much money he had.” (From Witch Ever Way You Can by Deborah Blake. Kindle Edition.) 

Yep. I’ve met men, no, actually people like that. 

“Okay. It’s Friday afternoon. In less than an hour, a car will pull up to my door and take me to the Albany airport, where a private jet owned by a billionaire will whisk me off to New York City for dinner with Robert Daniel Addison, the television star I’ve had a not-so-secret crush on for fifteen years. At some point after this dinner, said billionaire will expect me to work an unspecified piece of magic.”
I took a deep breath and threw my hands up in the air in defeat. “I defy any makeover show to come up with perfect outfit for that evening. The whole thing is simply absurd.” (From Witch Ever Way You Can by Deborah Blake. Kindle Edition.) 

I can’t think of a single thing I have that would work in that situation. You? 

BTW if you’re paying attention you will realize, the beautiful Deborah Blake , whom some of us are already familiar with, doesn’t just write award winning non-fiction books on witchcraft, (e.g. Everyday Witch A to Z: An Amusing, Inspiring & Informative Guide to the Wonderful World of Witchcraft), she has also written a fiction novel which IMHO is excellent. 

The book has steam.

"Your reputation is safe with me,” I said. Then, thinking about it, “Or maybe not.” I daringly stretched one stocking-clad foot out under the table to run it gently up Rob’s pants leg. By golly, it was all coming back to me. And the women in my coven thought I’d completely forgotten how to flirt. Of course, it helped to have such inspiration sitting right across the table. (From Witch Ever Way You Can by Deborah Blake. Kindle Edition.) 

The book is full of funny asides. 

“Goddess, the man was so formal he made my butt muscles clench.” (From Witch Ever Way You Can by Deborah Blake. Kindle Edition.)

And movie quotes. And puns.

"’Excuse me while I whip this out.’” I got to my feet and picked up my box of magical tools. Rob snickered and Tyler just looked confused.
“Blazing Saddles,” I explained. His expression only got more baffled, and I shrugged. “Sorry, bad habit. Wait until I start with the puns.” (From Witch Ever Way You Can by Deborah Blake. Kindle Edition.)

The book has tension

“As my fingers closed around the stone the rumble in my head became a roar, and then a high-pitched hum that grew in intensity until I thought my skull would burst. My fingers tightened convulsively around the stone and its original coldness grew warmer until it was as though I held a red-hot coal.” (From Witch Ever Way You Can by Deborah Blake. Kindle Edition.) 

And conflict.

Then I caught Rob’s startled glance, and it sank in. He’d seen us out in the hot tub. He’d been watching us… Hidden cameras, maybe? Crap. My blood pressure went up another notch and my ears grew hot with suppressed fury. (From Witch Ever Way You Can by Deborah Blake. Kindle Edition.)

 And more steam to break up the tension and conflict. 

And oh, what a kiss it was. His lips slid on mine, then away, then back again in a gentle dance. Slowly his arms tightened around me and his mouth captured mine, the pressure sending sparks up and down my spine. His tongue slipped lightly between my teeth, and I tasted the sweetness of wine, a hint of asparagus, and something indescribable that was Rob. It was better than chocolate. Hell, it was better than anything. (From Witch Ever Way You Can by Deborah Blake. Kindle Edition.) 

I don’t want to do spoilers so I’ll just say; there are twists and turns and scary moments and sexy moments. There's a lovely, funny, scrappy heroine; a handsome, courageous, sexy hero; and an unsettling, evil, scary villain.

It’s a page turner and I don’t say that lightly. I've put down 3 books unfinished lately because I couldn't get into them. I downloaded this book on my Kindle app on our desktop. (Sadly my laptop is kaput.) It’s usually hard for me to finish a book sitting at the desktop. I started reading it late one night, thinking to just read a little. At 6:30 the next morning I stopped reading only because I had finished this very good book. 

All for $2.99 at amazon. (If you don't have a Kindle app on your pc or desktop, the app is free to download.) I don’t know if there are other ways to get the book or not. Consult Deb for that.

The book also has my absolute requirement in a romance novel – A HAPPY ENDING 

Don’t take my word for it, though. Read it and tell me what You think.

12 comments:

  1. Wow. I mean--wow. I have read a lot of book reviews, and this is the Best One Evah. And I don't just say that because it is about my book (although I'm glad it is). You really give the flavor of the book with all the snippets you chose. If I hadn't read it, I would know right away whether this was the book for me or not.

    And as for all the lovely things you said...well...snuffle, snuffle...thank you from the bottom of my heart. You made my day. Hell, you made my fricking week.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did enjoy reading it. So what's next in the world of fiction according to Deborah Blake?

      Delete
  2. Great post! I haven't gotten my hands on this one yet. (TBR pile, why won't you shrink?!) Maybe by the time I get around to it, she'll have uploaded it to Nook. (hint, hint, Deb)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delia--it is out on Nook now :-) Clearly the rest of the TBR pile will simply have to wait...

      Delete
    2. Delia - Having read one of your books, and your comments as my beta reader - I can make an educated guess that this is a book you will like.

      Delete
  3. It really is a well paced and fun book. I enjoyed the interaction between the H/H and their instant connection and their little quips that only they got.
    Well done, Deborah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked those things, too Robena. Which reminds me, I don't like books where the people who end up as a couple don't spend any time together. In this book they spend lots of time together and it is completely believable.

      Delete
  4. It was definitely a fun read. And I read it on my iPhone because the Kindle app won't work with my four-year-old operating system. (No, you have to have Mac LION, not Mac LEOPARD!) :)

    Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skye - It was fun and also suspenseful enough to keep me interested.
      I'm thinking of putting the kindle app on my iphone. I'm not very technical, though.

      Delete
  5. Ooooo Sound like a good read. I'll have to grab a copy when I get home. Love supporting the writers we know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the line about the outfit to wear.

    ReplyDelete