Friday, February 10, 2012

I blame bear.

Recently I've spent some time with my thinking cap on. There's something I've known for a while but I haven't wanted to admit it because I'm a people pleaser and I especially want to please the people who come here to visit me.

Then wise woman Julie drew the bear card. One sentence that it said (contrary) really stood out for me:
"The time has come to regain your authority, for no one knows better than yourself what is proper and timely for your evolution."

Reading between the lines, it's time for me to woman up and fess up - I can't write my next book like I did the last one. I can't write a chapter, submit it to beta readers, make changes, post it here, then write the next chapter, etc. etc.

It's just not that kind of book. I'm going to have to write it once through, not on my own, exactly, because I'd like some feedback and accountability, but as a whole entity, not in pieces.

It's going to teach me a lot; that's already started; and I would like to talk about what I'm learning here. I hope no one gets bored or irritated.

I feel like I've been a horrible tease. I've talked about it as if I were going to start posting any time now. That was my original intention. It just can't work that way.

Can y"all forgive me?

12 comments:

  1. Oh if we get Bored and Irritated we'll be sure to let you know. (lol !! you crazy)

    Since I read your last book in two large installments, cause i can't sit at the computer and read, this works just fine for me! I'll look forward to the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT was what you were worried about?

    We can blame Bear, or give her credit. I go with the positive spin. (No shit.)

    I'm in. That makes two of us, me and Mabel (who I seem to be following all over the interwebz tonight).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, THAT? Honey, you need to write however it works for you. Do what you need to do to make the book you love and stop worrying about the rest of us, okay? We're tough. We can take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I've heard every book presents itself in a different way and you can fight it, but you'll lose.

    One wants to be written at a coffee shop. Another in the wee hours of the morning. Some may come in chapters, while others need to come all at once.

    I love seeing the process other writers go through to get to the final product and look forward to reading about yours. And I look forward to reading your story when you are ready to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to get through a first draft completely on my own before I share any part of it. I find I'm less inhibited if I'm not constantly thinking "I wonder what Reader A or Reader B will think of that?" Especially since I know how like whatever "that" is might well change before I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very lucky to have such lovely, supportive, accepting readers!
    Thanks.
    Oh, and Julie - I was just trying to be funny with the blaming bear thing, no offense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None taken. Big Bear-y hugs.
      I got it. ;)


      (Gawd I love that you guys got Reply buttons!

      Delete
  7. Yep, do it the way it speaks to you. We're all different. I have to have the first act completed, and know my ending, before I send the first chapter of my work to my crit partner. At the end of critiquing I let the ms. sit for a while (a few weeks) then send the full to her for a straight through read. Then I send it to three Beta readers (not writers, not family) and then I do a final revision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspiring how you've got your process so down pat.

      Delete
  8. I just want you to know it's not my fault. Whatever it was. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you weren't in cahoots with the Bear card Julie drew? Cause ya sound kinda guilty. ;)

      Delete
    2. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

      Delete