Friday, April 13, 2012

2 updates and barefoot dreaming

HIGH HEEL UPDATE:
If you read my fable/rant blogpost here you know my feelings on high heels.

Delia Moran  wrote a very interesting comment to that blogpost and I want to put it here in case people missed it.

"I don't disagree that it's unhealthy. When I talk about history, what I mean is that, from Helenic times right through Victorian times, high heels were worn by both men and women. They were a symbol of status more than anything. It was a way to show the lower classes who was who. People who wore those shoes were not the ones tilling fields or standing and doing manual labor all day. The perpetuation of this type of footwear stemmed from this. The damaging notion of sexiness is a modern permutation. Not everything that has been taken advantage of by the patriarchal society was begun by it. That's all I meant."

Very, very valid point, Delia. Thank you for that.

BAREFOOT DAYDREAMING:
Me, I'm drooling over these - especially after I hounded talked to the guy in a local department store who was wearing these . He said he's been wearing them for 5 months now working all night long stocking shelves on that awful floor and he still loves his toe gloves.

Nothing like an unsolicited testimonial to make my toes tingle! Uh, well, that might be an exaggeration. Probably a door better left closed, eh?

BOOTCAMP UPDATE:

I'm at roughly 18,000 words. It's all fast drafted and it's act one. I'm very pleased with the fact that it ended at a turning point where Taffy makes a definite choice that will change her life at least temporarily.

On to act two. Or maybe not. I'm considering writing in the narrative for act one first as I kind of need to know how far Taffy and York have gotten in their relationship.

We'll see.

14 comments:

  1. Now see? THIS is what I love about the interwebz. Delia, and others (but we know and love her), will chime in with a brilliant observation, history, and facts. Ah, so educational and continuously fascinating.

    Go you on the Barefoot mission! I'm rabidly cheering for you!!!

    Congrats on your wonderful writing progess, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be a barefoot hillbilly novelist in no time.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yay for ending on a turning point! You're making excellent progress there, lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised and happy to see that turning point. And it means no sag in the middle of my book, either.

      Delete
  3. Yes! I want those Merrell's in the orange color. *Drool*
    Yay! for you on the writing. I've had an off week this week but can feel the itch in the fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they cute? It's tempting to get a couple of pair when I get my tax return. But the whole barefoot thing is just a theory until I try them out.
      It's so hard to be practical sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on ending on a turning point!! Awesome!!
    Terrific word count too.

    The shoes are cute.
    The toe shoes are interesting...I'm afraid I'd feel trapped.
    I have to admit that I like high heels -- though I don't wear them all the time. I just like the way jeans look when I'm all tilted up and tall. {{shrugs}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished a two hour writing sprint with the other bootcampers. I went back fill in narrative in act one. It was easier than I thought it would be.

      Delete
  5. Ha! My daughter wears those "finger-feet" shoes. Swears they're the most comfortable things ever, and are good for your feet, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Represent. Another testimonial!

      Delete
  6. And to continue with your theme.... Dan and I have been in search of some slippers (house-shoes) for him, but his feet are VERY wide, plus he's like the rest of us Pentacle People, hugely high arch and instep. So. Difficult.

    Today we were in Macy's (I have a credit card there) and we thought we'd check out the Clearance rack. Ta da! A geat pair of yank-on scuffs. More then half off! And guess who makes them? MERRELL! They weren't slippers at all. But now he has some, and they fit SO well and feel SO good. He wore them home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I bet Dan's feet are sighing with relief.

      Delete
  7. I can't even wear thong shoes, so I don't think I could wear toe shoes, lol.

    In re novel - yay!

    ReplyDelete