Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Romance Novel: Soundtracks, Henningsens, The Band Perry, savvyauthors.com

Henningsens and or The Band Perry

"Play your music on repeat, with the volume loud enough to drown out your internal editor but not so loud you can’t think at all. You’ll know you’ve got the right volume setting when the writing starts to flow." Liz Pelletier (from How to Turn Off Your Internal Editor, a mini lesson from Savvy Author Bootcamp)

I stumbled on to the Henningsens aka the Band Perry recently and I love them despite the fact that I don't usually like country music.

Their lyrics are fantastic.

I put these songs on my ipod:

Postcards From Paris
"It's like finding out your diamond
Is from an old promise ring
Coming back from your fortune teller
She read your cards upside down
The meanest thing you ever did is come around."

All Your Life
"Would you catch a couple thousand fireflies
Put them in a lamp to light my world.
All dressed up in a tux and bowtie.
Hand delivered to a lonely girl."

Hip To My Heart
"Can't even fall for some other man
Cuz brother man
You know how to get hip to my heart"

You Lie
"You lie like a priceless Persian rug on a rich man's floor
You lie like a coondog basking in the sunshine on my porch
You lie like a penny in the parking lot at the grocery store
It just comes way too natural to you
The way you lie"

Unfortunately some of their best songs don't appear to be available anywhere except on youtube.

Clara Henningsen has a great voice. I love this one:
That was 'thirst.mov'

Brian and Aaron Henningsen play great music. Here is my favorite:
Sitting In An Airport Waiting On A Train - Love the lyrics:
"Shouldn't be surprised when a rattlesnake bites
Cause it does what it does
Well you can swallow back shame
You can holler back blame
But it was what it was"

I also liked Moonbeams and Commanche Sioux that I only found on youtube.

They have a popular song that's played on the radio now; If I Die Young. For me, it's just okay.

I hope soon the other songs I like will be ipod available. I'm fairly certain we'll be hearing a lot more from them.

Who have you discovered lately?

8 comments:

  1. I adore country music. When I was younger I thought it was kind of hokey. But for the past 12-15 years I am totally "getting it".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want that sitting in an airport song but they don't seem to have it recorded where I can buy it even though they really do it justice!

      Delete
  2. My mom listened to country when I was growing up, but back then that meant Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings. I have a hard time with the country-pop today. On the rare occasions I do listen to country, it's something upbeat and silly, like Mr. Policeman by Brad Paisley. (Excellent song for driving. ;) ) She (the woman in the video) has a pretty voice, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Johnny Cash sometimes. His daughter Roseanne has done some nice stuff, too.

      Delete
  3. Well you always know what I'm listening to. ;-)

    These are great, I'll check them out.

    Do you know zamzar.com? You can put in a youtube video and turn it into an mp3. I do that for live versions I like. The quality isn't as good as when purchased, but it's good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to check out zamzar. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  4. The Henningsens have more music on their Facebook page that you can stream. They will have an album out later this year or early 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I'm not very technical but I'll check it out.
      Also, thanks for commenting.:)

      Delete