Friday, April 27, 2012

willwriteforchocolate Yahoo group, Sewing Project: Nightgowns

UPDATE - BREAKING NEWS: Some writers from SAB have followed me to Chocolate Bootcamp so willwriteforchocolate now has 7 MEMBERS. Competition for that chocolate is going to be stiff! HEHEHE what fun!

Before we get into nightgowns (hehehe I'm already in mine) we have a couple of other things to talk about.

Savvy Author Bootcamp Update: I will put a wrapup blogpost out on May 1st.

May 1st will be the first day of the newly formed Chocolate Bootcamp For Writers. If you are interested in joining us go here for details.

<><><>
 Project nightgown

For over a year some time now I've been planning to take these 3 pieces of fabric:
and 3 of these white, ribbed undershirts:

and make 3 night gowns.

Being the lazy opportunist that I am, tonight seemed like the time since my daughter was here earlier and set the sewing machine up.  I started on number 1.

Several hours later, I had this:

As I sit here writing this blog, I'm wearing this gown and it's not falling apart. So far so good.

For this kind of project I'm not a precise sewer. Bare necessity in measuring, cutting and seams. This time, however, I'm stopping at one until I buy some elastic. I did the old - sew a seam with basting stitch and pull the thread until it gathers the way you want. It was a pain in the ass.

The problem is, though, who knows when I'll be somewhere to buy elastic? And by then the sewing machine will be put away. And I'll have to lure my daughter over again with subliminal messages that she needs to sew something. Or I could set up the sewing machine myself, I suppose.

Big sigh. I've had this fabric for over a year. It may be another year before I get the other 2 made.

At least I have this one, though. And it's swirly, girly, colorful and comfortable. I like it.

Also, I sewed up the hole in my green pants so - SCORE!

What have you scored lately?

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What a great idea for a nightgown. :)

    The pile of mending on top of my sewing basket is a joke. Some of that stuff has been waiting for years to see a needle and thread. And it'll probably be waiting for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It seems like such a simple thing to do but I never want to do it.

      Delete
  2. What a cool nightgown--heck, I'd wear that as a sundress. Love, love this idea!! I'm going to talk to my friend Connie, who sews, and see if we (and of course, I mean "she") can't make a couple of these for summer fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see it as a sundress. Bet you'd look cute in it.

      Delete
  3. I love this, too. How much fabric did you use for the skirt? Or did you tell and I missed it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rule of thumb with things gathered is - measure what you're going around and get three times that length material.
      To make an unlikely but easy example - if you had an 18 inch waist, you'd need 1 yard and a half of material.

      Delete
  4. Cute! I'm afraid all my attempts to sew clothes have been less than successful. I stick to quilts. :) (Maybe I'm just loathe to measure myself.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have more patience than me if you sew quilts.

      Delete
  5. I used to be domestic but now I can barely remember how to thread a needle ;)

    I like the nightgown. The idea behind making it is so simple and the end product is soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this. What a cool idea. My daughter was bugging me the other day to go sewing machine buying. I reneged. Looks like it's time. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you and your daughter have some fun in store. Sewing machines are usually in fabric stores and I love fabric stores!

      Delete
  7. Brilliant idea! When Em was in pre-school she was slightly adopted by a lovely woman, mother of three boys, who was MAGIC with her SEVERAL sewing machines. She made about four or five dresses for Emma out of t-shirts similar to this, but of course she decorated and trimmed the sleeves, neck, hem, etc.

    About your Forgiveness and Moving On project: GO JUDY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you all sewingness! I'm a sewing fool.

    ReplyDelete