Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Meet my shelfari friend, Ursula


Those of us who love her are glad that Jayne Ann Krentz is a very prolific writer. She has written under many names but appears to have settled into three.

This is from her website:
“Those of you who know me are aware that I write romantic-suspense with a psychic twist under three different names: Amanda Quick for historicals, Jayne Ann Krentz for contemporaries and Jayne Castle for my futuristic/paranormals.”

Ursula, who agreed to be a guest on my blog and answer some questions for us, is an admirer of all things Krentz much the same as I am. We encountered each other in a JAK fan club of sorts on shelfari.com..

Hi Ursula. I promise not to ask you anything that I’m not prepared to answer myself.

JJJ – It’s hard for me to pick a favorite pseudonym of JAK because I love certain books in each one. I generally prefer contemps but my favorites of hers are in the other genres. If I make a list of favorites it would be long and weighted heavily with Amanda Quick books.

Do you have a favorite pseudonym of JAK? If so, why?

U: I love everything JAK writes but my favorites are her contemps. She has a way of pulling you into the story.
JJJ – I really enjoyed the latest JAK book, Copper Beach, which is the first in the Dark Legacy series. I’m going to say that is my favorite of hers.

What is your all-time favorite Jayne Ann Krentz book?

U: I love all of her books but my favorite one so far is Copper Beach.

(In fact, Ursula reviewed Copper Beach on her blog here.)

JJJ – My favorite stand alone Quick book is Wait Until Midnight. In that book Carolyn Fordyce serializes a novel in the fictional newspaper, the Flying Intelligencer. She uses hero, Adam Hardesty as a model for Edmund Drake, the villain of her sensation novel. There is a running joke in the book where people keep assuring Hardesty that Fordyce always kills off her villains in some nasty manner.

"Ah I see you're following the story sir. We haven't seen much of Edmund Drake yet but it's plain that he's a very menacing sort. Safe to say that he'll come to a nasty end just like Mrs. Fordyce's other villains." Wait Until Midnight by Amanda Quick

I also love the Vanza series. Lavinia and Tobias are two of my favorite characters.

What is your all-time favorite Amanda Quick book?

U: My favorite Amanda Quick book is Wicked Widow. Madeline Deveridge and Artemas Hunt are two of my favorite characters.

"Her enthusiasm for the new day instantly plummeted. A spectre might prove easier to face than Artemas. She stared at  her sleep-rumpled image in the dressing table mirror. It was one thing to blackmail the Dream Merchant into helping you to hunt for a missing maid and then bargain for his assistance in tracking down the vengeful phantom of your late husband. It was another matter altogether to make casual conversation with him over eggs and toast the morning after you had allowed him to seduce you." Wicked Widow by Amanda Quick

JJJ – I love the Ghost Hunter books by Castle. Outside of them my favorites are the St. Helen trilogy, Amaryllis, Orchid and Zinnia.

What is your all-time favorite Jayne Castle book?

U: I've only read one book by Jayne Castle. Midnight Crystal, I really enjoyed it and I plan on reading more.
JJJ - In all three categories, JAK writes series. In fact sometimes she writes a series using all 3 psudeonyms. It can get confusing and yet, I love it when she does that.

What about you? Do you like her cross-pseudonym series such as my personal favorite, the Arcane Society?

U: Yes I like her cross-pseudonym series, I loved the Arcane Society.

Enough about she-who-has-too-many-names. Tell us about you.

JJJ - I know you’re a reader. Have you always read books?

 U - I have been reading books for as long as I could remember.
JJJ - I know that you blog. Is Reader’s Corner your only blog? How long have you blogged? Why did you start blogging?    

U - Reader's Corner isn't the only blog I have. I have another blog called Romancing the Cowboy. I have been blogging since October 2011. I wanted to share my love of books.

JJJ - Are you enjoying blogging? Is there anything blogging gives you that you didn’t expect before you started?

U - Yes I'm enjoying blogging. I've gotten a lot of support that I didn't expect to get.

JJJ - Do you write as well as read?
U - No, I don't write.

Thank you, Ursula, for being a guest on my blog.

You’re Welcome, I really enjoyed it.

I neglected to ask Ursula, but I know from our shelfari group that she, like me, is anxious to read Krentz's latest. It's the first book in Amanda Quick's new Ladies of Lantern Street series

and it's out NOW!

When is payday again? I need to make an amazon order!



14 comments:

  1. You ladies seem to be great friends! Don't you just love the interwebz, where you can bond with people you've never met over stuff you love? Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the interwebz. It's not likely I would have run across Ursula otherwise and I would have been much lonelier in my love of JAK.

      Delete
  2. I actually met JAK this past weekend, she was at a Romance Extravaganza event nearby, along with a couple of other authors that I really like. She was pretty excited about her new book! :) And if I find the video link for the panel, I'll pass it along.

    Ditto what Delia said. It's so much fun to meet people on the webz! :)

    -Anna/Irish Betty (popping over from JulieLand)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna - Thanks for coming.
      You met her. Is she as pretty as the picture on her book jackets?

      Delete
    2. I think so! She's also very nice. :)

      Delete
  3. I've heard of JAK of course, but never read one. You have me intrigued! I will put Copper Beach on my summer reading list. Thanks to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb - Start with Wait Until Midnight. You'll love it. It's probably at the library.
      You will laugh - I guarantee.

      Delete
  4. JAK sounds familiar but I don't believe that I've ever read anything by her. I will have to check out her books. I love finding new authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of weird like this anyway, but once I started with her, I couldn't stop for a long time. She is very prolific.
      She's friends with Crusie and SEP. In one of her blogposts Crusie tells a hilarious story of the three of them being interviewed by a tv reporter.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Judy! Hi, Ursula! I'm popping over from JulieLand! I, too, am a JAK fan! I think I've read all but her earliest novels under yet another name which escapes me at the moment. Unfortunately, I haven't had the money for the last 2 books, but my birthday is this weekend! (giftcardsgiftcardsgiftcards) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin. Yay - birthday books are the best! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  6. Great discussion! Now I need to put more of these on my TBR list as well. Love all things paranormal, or as we call it around here, just plain NORMAL. ;)

    Thanks Ursula, thanks Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her paranormals. She is so inventive. None of this overworked vampires or werewolfs for her.
      Who else do you know that could create a pet who resembles a dustbunny and is adorable, until something sets him off and s/he is on the hunt, then his/her second eyes appear and s/he is deadly.

      Delete
  7. O man, it's been a long time since I've read an Amanda Quick!

    ReplyDelete