Friday, May 18, 2012

Pandora and snap! - the saga continues


If you don't understand something here, refer back here .


The gas clears and I go back in to write some more. To refresh your memory, that would be towards a word count for the next day.


When I sit back down in my chair I glance at a calendar that reminds me there is a writer's sprint at 12:30 pm central today. So I actually don't want to write much because I need to sleep and write during the sprint where my word count gets doubled towards winning the chocolate.


I write a brief 106 more words to finish the scene I was writing and go to bed.


I wake up before my alarm goes off and shower. My daughter calls. Something good has happened but it's created a bit of a quandary for her and I'm going need to meet up with her at some point today.


I sit down to sprint, crank up the pandora.com, and chat until time is called. Then I'm off, fingers flying again. Slowly I start to realize, what happened to my pandora?


The internet has gone down. Dammit. I look at the clock. If I rush to the library I can finish the sprint.


1494 words to double later, I'm chatting and goodbying. While I'm at the library, I pick up some more Marian Keyes books. Still loving her!


Off to spend some time with my daughter.


When I go back home I'm out of the mood to write but I don't want to waste this one and only day where I have no obligations.


I'll just watch a little television. Maybe there's an episode of the Big Bang Theory on somewhere. Sure enough...


Big Bang over, I'm flipping around and I land on the movie, Uptown Girls. I love that movie. I have no business watching it right now though. Just a few minutes. Must stop. Oh well, it's almost to the end which I love passionately.


I watch it, laughing and crying as usual. Then suddenly - snap! Part of my main characters arc falls right into place.


And as for my own arc:

I'm my own worst enemy for watching the movie right now and yet, at the same time I'm my own best friend for watching the movie right now. (Because it solved a WIP problem for me.) It happens more often than you'd think.


See if this stimulates anything in you: (The sound is low and you have to turn it up all the way but I love this video particularly because he says - 'she lent us a little bit of her magic and now we want to give some back' in his lovely British accent.)

Off topic - Dakota Fanning is an amazing talent. And it makes me sad to think what the world has missed out on because the talented Brittany Murphy died so young.

If you're a Brittany Murphy fan, here's a longer version of the song with scenes from the whole movie:



Okay so now I'm going to write some more. Think I'll write a quick blogpost first. Or two... 

 Bootcamp update: I'm loving bootcamp. I know I would not have written all that I've written if not for bootcamp. I'm 27,166 words into act 2. That's about 8000 from my goal for act 2. I really want to finish the whole book this month, but I don't know if I'll make it.

I'm second in the running for the chocolate. April is first. But London Mabel is third even though she started late. Will she pass us all up? Possibly!

How was your week?




6 comments:

  1. Pretty good, and about to get better. Seeing my firstborn this weekend to celebrate her birthday. :)

    Re writing: it's amazing how much of it happens when you're not technically writing. That part is important, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone but writers understand that.

      Delete
  2. It really is important to take a break sometimes. You don't want to end up in an old hotel typing, "All work and no play..." Or maybe you do. I don't judge. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - and when I'm really on a writing jag, I don't have time to read a book. Movies are the ticket.

      Delete
  3. It is very important to take a break and just let the mind wander. I'm glad it worked out for you. YaY!!

    I call it percolating and not just dinking around! ;)

    I love boot camp too and am so very glad that you took the time to put it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Percolating. I like that. This novel has been all about percolating. I have a plot problem and suddenly a solution percolates up from somewhere.

      Delete