Friday, June 1, 2012

willwriteforchocolate Yahoo group, Cactus: La Diabla

Wow. Thank goodness for placekeepers.

I had a nasty fever all last night, including at work. At a place where I'm usually hot, I was wearing a sweat jacket and going from cold chills to raging hot. When I came home, I sacked out in the chair in the living room for 'just a minute' and woke up almost twelve hours later. For those of you who don't know, this is amazing because I usually suffer from insomnia and rarely get more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep on a good night.

I'm better now.

So - May bootcamp is over except for the posting and tallying of the word counts, the naming of a winner and the awarding of the Fran's Salted Caramels. I'll keep you posted.

June bootcamp is just beginning.

I am having such a good time writing with other writers. For someone as isolated as I am, it's precious. And I 'm writing so much more. I'm at almost 70K for Tangible Taffy. That 70 k would not have happened without bootcamp in April and May. So many times when I stumbled and would have taken days or weeks to figure something out and move on, the longing for a daily word count gave me the motivation to buckle down, solve the problem and forge on.

In terms of quality, I'm also happy. The novel has taken some twists and turns that I didn't expect but I like them. In terms of structure, I'm happy, too. Act 1 is 29553 words and ends in a turning point. Act 2 is 34760 and ends in a turning point. Act 3 is 4522 and about one third of what the length will be. If you've studied structure, this is classic.

On a personal note I have someone new to introduce you to. Meet La Diabla:

My gdaughter actually named her El Diablo because of her wicked prickles but she's a girlio so I had to change it to La Diabla. I picture her in one of those big coffee cup planters but I haven't gotten one yet.

Alfonso, the cross-dressing Thanksgiving cactus whom I introduced here is practically twirling his mustache in fiendish desire sitting on the screened in porch on the shelf above her. I was glad to see him looking so handsome since he had a bad winter for some reason.

If you're new here you won't know this but not only do I talk to my plants they have backstory and personalities.

Taffy, protagonist of my work in progress, has two plants that are her best friends whom she interacts with more than the outside world.

Well, that's all. Thanks for being patient with me. (And Julie I know you hate it when Dan is right but indeed, the world didn't end because I didn't have my post up in time.)

What simple things seem apocalyptic to y'all?

9 comments:

  1. Oh Judy, I'm so sad that you were sick.

    What simple things seem to apocalyptic me?
    Stupid things really. The sudden need to say "I've been mellow, but this stuff bothers me. Big time."
    or
    When I measure someone against my yardstick and they are found wanting. "How can they find THAT as wonderous?"

    But the wonder that was me was in another life, I might not be that even if I tried again.

    In this life I'm a writer and don't have 12 hours a day to devote to work. (wicked I know, but I love it)

    I am a no one and do not make good money. But I can leave work when it is time to clock out and I don't think about work at home. Sometimes. more than I will admit to, I write at work. I am a nobody.

    It is a hard and yet good thing. The duality of it still boggles my mind and yet I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being able to leave my job that I do for a paycheck, at work when I leave there.

      Delete
  2. Nothing apocalyptic here, just same old same old. La Diabla is lovely and your word count kicks butt. I wanna know who won the chocolates! (And it's not even me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - me too. I haven't counted yet but I'm pretty sure it's a last minute upset.
      I am so happy with my word counts! Thanks for noticing.;)

      Delete
  3. Damn that man. He is right so freaking often! ;)

    Wow, you totally rocked the word count. Nice. And hey, good healing sleep was OBVIOUSLY just what you needed.

    Nothing huge here, minor shit. As usual. (Although I did just receive some great news from my Boy, he snagged the last swing shift spot on the new schedule. Not only is he still employed, but he gets to keep the time frame that works best for him. Different days off, no big deal though.) Let me know if you want some VERY effective mom-style affirmations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the affirmation thought but my usual worked. Listening - not offering despite having to bite my tongue in half - prepared to do what I can if asked but not feel bad if I can't. Not quite a week later and they are both on a clear path out of their crisis' all on their own.

      Delete
  4. Sorry you had a fever. That's never any fun but I'm glad you're all better now.
    My apocalyptic moment was when the hot water pipe sprung a leak ten days ago and then the pipes were discovered to be corroded in several places and the big decision was made to re-pipe the house, which of course led to other problems and expenses (as it always does) but somewhow it all worked out and is all slowly being taken care of. So, I survived. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol your crisis was similar to one of my daughters. She has well water. They came home to the well spewing water all over the laundry room of her house.
      She survived, too.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear you were sick--so glad you're better now.

    And I love La Diabla!

    ReplyDelete