Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Breaking news (depending on your prospective, of course)

The big July 17 vote to decide if the backwards county I live in would remain dry (no liquor sales) is over. The yahoos have voted to remain dry. No surprise in a place where churches outnumber all other business combined. And not the cool churches where they drink wine. No, catholics are looked at with suspicion here as if they were people of color or gay people. In case you're new to reading this blog, I don't find any of those groups of people suspicious; I'm talking about your average jane or joe from this county and a couple of the surrounding counties.

Do I sound bitter? Well, I'm not really. The next county over decided to go wet. That means I will only have to drive 20 minutes on the rare ocassions when I decide a beer or a bottle of sangria would be nice. Formerly the drive was an hour or more.

If you want to read more about this I wrote a longer blogpost about it here .

I see a pitcher of margaritas in my future. What about you?

10 comments:

  1. Aw, too bad. Still, 20 minutes is way better than an hour or more. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 20 minutes that I drive almost every day anyway so it is a definite improvement.

      Delete
  2. No margaritas for me, Ma'am. Tequila and I...we're not friends. I might join you in that sangria, though. And 20 minutes isn't that bad (says the girl who has to drive 10 minutes to the nearest store). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to drink pitchers of cold sangria with fruit in it with a friend I'm no longer in contact with. I miss her. Of course I miss the pitchers of sangria, too.

      Delete
  3. Totally off topic, I just returned an anthology to the library today. It had a Lord John story in it! "Down These Strange Streets" or something like that (his was "Lord John and somethingaboutzombies). I don't like short stories. But I do make exceptions (for Delia, usually, Charlaine Harris, and DG).

    (sorry the vote went that way for your county, but nice that you now have a not-as-far-drive)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the excerpt on her website. It sounds good but the library doesn't have it and I can't inter library loan it until October. It's too new. Not buying the book cause I'll probably only like that story.
      Don't know if I'll remember in Oct.

      Delete
  4. I might have that book. I can't remember, but I'm doing a massive book clean-out and if I uncover it I can send it to you.

    Mmmm. Sangria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - Massive book clean-out eh? What made you decide to do that?

      Delete
    2. That there are piles of books in every room in my house? Boxes of books in closets? A ping-pong table covered with books? Yeah, all of that. I'm de-cluttering v e r y, v e r y slowly, kinda like my weight loss, but little by little I'm getting there. I know I have this book. Message me on facebook or something or find my email somewhere and send me your address and I'll mail it to you.

      Delete
    3. My email is jasm_n7@hotmail.com if you want to send me an email I'll gladly send you an address. Thanks for thinking of me.
      Judy

      Delete