Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Romance Novel: Just Breathe, Author: Susan Wiggs

Cover vs content

I'm late A.G.A.I.N. However, I think I'll change things. No more deadline for having a post up. It will go up on Tuesday and Friday but sometimes it may be later. Why? Cause I seem to be wanting to write it at the last minute lately and that's okay.

I finished reading Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs.


Isn't that a great cover? It's also a great book. Guess what? IMHO The cover has absolutely nothing to do with the book. I'm not even sure which character the cover is supposed to be depicting. Oh well. You can judge a book by it's cover in the sense that great cover, great book but you can't judge the contents. Er wait...the contents are great, too.

 This is the first of her books that I've read and I liked it. So much so that I'm starting another one.

As you can see I got these from the library. I will read her backlog there and then put her on my buy list from now on.

~

The story isn't a simple one. Boy and girl are married. Boy recovers from cancer. While girl is trying to get pregnant boy has an affair. And that's just the backstory.

"She picked up another and threw it. Take that. And that. One after another, she hurled the eggs, and when she ran out, she moved on to the lemons and oranges and potatoes. With every throw, the poison ebbed as though sucked out to sea." Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs

~

The characters are well developed and likable. They're not perfect. Both heroine, cartooinst Sarah Moon, and love interest, firefighter Will Bonner, have family drama to overcome and arcing to do. You want them to win. You cheer them on.

"She slugged his arm, and then they ambled along in companionable silence. She and Will were  not dating. That would be insanity and they both knew it. They called each other, though. They went for long walks on the beach at sunset. They had dinner together and sometimes there were candles involved. But they were definitely not dating." Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs

~

The setting is a world that you're happy to live in long enough to finish the book and sorry to leave when it's done.

"There was a picnic in Town Park, races on Children's Beach and a sailing regatta across the bay. The fishing fleet strung twinkling lights through the rigging of every boat, and live bands took turns performing all day and into the night." Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs

~

There's an endearing happily-ever-after that is not the least bit sappy and a short little epilogue that even Jenny Crusie might approve.

I need a year by the ocean to sit and read . How long would it take you to get through your tbr list?

12 comments:

  1. I think I can say that I will NEVER get through my list. Nope, not ever. No matter how much I read people keep coming along and suggesting other new and interesting books to add to the list.

    Mind you, I'm not pointing fingers at any ONE person who keeps finding good booKs that add to my list..wink, wink, nod, nod

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I stopped adding books to my TBR list today- I could finish it within 4-5 years. I made a goal to read 65 books in 2012. I think I am on # 20. I am BEHIND.

    This looks like a great book though, so I'll add it to my list. Thanks A LOT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See above reply. 65 books is a lot to read in one year.
      And thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever read this author. Guess I'll have to give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try her and let me know what you think.

      Delete
  4. How long? Oh jeez, I don't think I can count that high. My trouble is that I read books with sequels, so my tbr list is constantly growing. And then I read book reviews. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too Delia. In fact, I love series books. But they do add to my tbr!
      And just think, I only review the good ones.

      Delete
  5. Your blog is hazardous to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, Judy, JudyJuly 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM

      lol what can I say?

      Delete
  6. I think we all know about The Evil That Is My TBR "pile". And yet I still add to it. And the more I'm writing the less reading I get done. It's all quite horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of shocking how much of my reading time is taken up by writing, when I'm writing.

      Delete