Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Shadows In the Sun (2005 movie)

Me and netflix - we have a strange relationship. I have the cheapest membership - 2 movies a month - and still I don't fully use it. I'm not sure why. I love movies. I just don't seem to spend much time watching them.

Earlier I was reading Robena's latest blogpost about a movie about a writer. It sounded like a good movie so I went to my netflix queue to add it, only to find it already there - that's how bad I am about movies.

Then I realized the movie I've had lying around for weeks is a movie about writers - Shadows In the Sun. I decided to watch it. And I'm glad I did. It was sweet, touching, an adventure into another country, and it really made me think about writing. About how I sometimes don't sit down to write because I'm afraid I won't be great.

The movie stars Joshua Jackson. He may have started out as a young boy in Dawson's Creek but let me tell ya - he is now a very handsome man.


Jackson's character travels to Italy, on orders of his pushy boss, to find a writer he admires greatly. The writer he's looking for wrote several wonderful books, then his wife died, and he hasn't written since for the last 20 years. He is reclusive. He is played by the always wonderful Harvey Keitel.

 
Keitel's character turns out to be outrageously eccentric and yet lovable. Keitel has a posse of friends including a priest who makes his own rules played by Giancarlo Giannini.
 
 
 
There are a lot of delightful elements to the movie. The taste of Italian countryside and culture is one. The friendship of a group of men and an entire community built over a number of years is another.


Jackson and Keitel's relationship and what they bring out in each other, both destructive and constructive makes me envious that I don't have a successful writing mentor.

The music is definitely a delight. It's mostly beautiful, instrumental music by an obviously talented Mark Thomas. There are a few other songs, though. There's a funny karaoke scene. There's an Elvis song. But by far my favorite is the song, Sway, by the late Dean Martin.

 
What a handsome man he was. And his voice was so smooth and sensual.
 
Where was I? Oh yeah - the movie.
 
Anywho - I don't want to give too much away. I'll just say it is a very moving, uplifting movie for everyone but especially for writers.
 
And being a romantic comedy it has - you guessed it - a happy ending. Throughout the movie Jackson's character falls in love with Keitel's daughter played by Claire Folani.
 


The end of the movie is a slightly cheesy but very satisfying HEA for the two of them.

Okay - I can send this one back to netflix now. Wonder what I have in my queue next.

How often do you watch movies?

8 comments:

  1. That does sound like a delightful movie--I'll have to add it to my queue.

    We have Netflix streaming, and like to watch TV series we may have missed during their runs. It's a great way to enjoy television commercial-free.

    We just finished up "Life" -- a quirky crime drama starring Damian Lewis -- and loved it. It only ran for two seasons, and I was sorry to see it end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life was good. I didn't watch it when it first came on either. There was a period of time when it was on hulu.com and I watched it then. Definitely too short lived.

      Delete
  2. I have netflix streaming but I don't get my money's worth out of it. I did actually watch a movie Sunday, but other than that I don't watch them that often.

    This one sounds like a good one to put on my TBW lists ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make good use of the streaming, either. It was a good movie. Moments linger with me today.

      Delete
  3. I'll have to look for this one. Our home owners assoc. dues include cable TV. If it isn't on regular TV Showtime or HBO I don't catch the movie. Unless of course it's a new release that catches my eye and makes me get up and actually go to the theater. : 0

    Just popped in to say thanks so much for the Kleypas recommendation, Dream Lake. I started the book last night and kept saying just one more chapter. I think I stopped at #13. Anyway, I'm loving it and appreciate your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying the Kleypas book. She's definitely special.

      Delete
  4. My folks (with whom I lives) use itunes and netflix streaming instead of having cable, so I've been using theirs.' I recently watched Easy Virtue which was HILARious. I don't watch a lot of movies, though. Sometimes I just watch previews and then I'm satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy Virtue, eh. Going to look it up right now.

      Delete