Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Romance Novel: Glimmer Girls, Author: Kate George, Romance Novel: Dream Lake, Author: Lisa Kleypas, Romance Novel: That Thing Called Love, Author: Susan Andersen

Some thoughts on - you guess it - books!

Intrepid, innovative author Kate George is in the final stages of a book titled 'Glimmer Girls'.

Kate says; "Glimmer Girls is the story of Clara, a woman of two worlds, land and water. She must choose which world, which man, which life."

Glimmer Girls is a paranormal romance. Kate is looking for some help getting it the care and attention it needs and deserves.

Go here to read the first page of the book and to see if you want to help.

<><><>

Over on Robena's blog she's talking about being disappointed in a movie because it was labeled a romcom and it is actually a drama.

Do you think it is sometimes hard to narrow down genre?

I just finished reading Dream Lake by Lisa Kleypas. It's the latest in a series of books set on Friday Harbor that are pegged as modern romance. I love them and I reviewed them here. 

I think one could make a pretty good case for them being modern GOTHIC romance.

The heroines are innocent in the sense of seeing the glass half full.

The heroes are clueless about lasting love or life and must arc to be with the heroines.

There is always someone at risk; a child or an elderly person.

There are houses.

There are supernatural elements.

And there is darkness to overcome.

Unlike Robena's movie, I didn't have expectations and in this case, I don't think they would have stopped me from loving the books. Although I do know what Robena is talking about. I've felt that disappointment / disillusionment before.

<><><>

Lastly, I want to give a little shout out to Susan Andersen's latest book, That Thing Called Love.

Here's the blurb:

"For a guy she's fantasized about throttling, Jake Bradshaw sure is easy on the eyes. In fact, he seriously tempts inn manager Jenny Salazar to put her hands to better use. Except this is the guy who left Razor Bay—and his young son, Austin, whom Jenny adores like her own—to become a globe-trotting photojournalist. He can't just waltz back and claim Austin now.

Jake was little more than a kid himself when he became a dad. Sure, he'd dreamed of escaping the resort town, but he'd also truly believed that Austin was better off with his grandparents. Now he wants—no, needs—to make up for his mistake. He intends to stay in Razor Bay only until he can convince Austin to return with him to New York. Trouble is, with sexy, protective, utterly irresistible Jenny in his life, and his bed, he may never want to leave…."

I thought I had reviewed her before but I couldn't find the blog if I did. In any case, I adore her and this is a good book. The kind of book that you walk away from a little bit lighter in your soul.

And when I went on shelfari to list it, I found out it is the first book in the Razor Bay series. Makes me very glad because I really want the story of Jake's brother, Max.

What are your thoughts about books and genre today?



13 comments:

  1. Oooh, those all sound good. Get thee behind me, book tempter! My TBR pile is about to topple, and I have almost no time read right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well - you just ignore this and when you're ready to read let me know and I'll send you a list. I don't want to interfere in any way with your writing time. I need some more Ciel or is it Ceil?

      Delete
  2. Book Tempter - that is totally what JJJ is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too tempting this time. Glimmer Girls is not out yet. Dream Lake is part of a series we've already discussed. And That Thing Called Love is a quick, light, happy read.

      Delete
  3. Must buy That Thing Called Love. Have not had a lot of novel reading time lately, so tend to read a bit of non-fiction before nodding off at night. Miss reading a romance that will sweep me off to that happy place. Hope it's available on Kindle. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll like it, Robena. And then we'll be able to read the second book eventually. Something for now - something for later.

      Delete
  4. That Thing Called Love sounds good to me too..of course, if I put another book onto my TBR shelf, it may fall through the floor into the basement:-)

    I joined in on the campaign to get Glimmer Girls out there. I was lucky enough to read it in an earlier form, and it is one cool book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been over at WriteOnCon this week (online YA/MG writing conference) and I've noticed an up-tick in YA Gothic romance. Wonder if it'll be the next big thing? I myself am writing a slightly less reverent ghost story right now. Maybe I'll be able to slip in on the ghostly bandwagon. ;)

    Also, I so wish I was in a position to help out all my Betty friends. :( Alas, I spent the majority of my weekend arguing with a company over an $11 difference in a return, because I really need that $11 right now. *sigh* Hello, economy? Could you pick up now, please? That'd be great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the economy thing! Sorry you're feeling it.
      Good luck with your ghosties.

      Delete
    2. I'm with you, Delia. But hoping that by the time Glimmer Girls comes out (because I'm sure it will! In some form) I'll be once again gainfully employed.

      Delete
  6. Oh I ADORE books that take me away and make me all happy! (And you know how I feel about the paranormal too.)

    Need to investigate that damn e-reader option thing you told me about last week......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie - You would so love this Kleypas series. They are so good. They actually start with a novella called Christmas Eve At Friday Harbor. You know how much I dislike xmas - but I loved it. Spoiler alert - there's magic throughout all of them. This last one I just finished has a ghost and a ghost happy ending. The first chapter of the next (and I think,last) one has a full-on witch.

      Delete