Friday, August 24, 2012

Sunshine and rainbows

It's Friday. It's been a rainbow week. You know, some rain, then some sunshine and a rainbow, metaphorically speaking.

I'm not going to talk much about the rain because it's work related. I'll just say that some employers do not know how to treat their personnel in a manner that encourages positive, long-term relationships with quality employees.

Although, I'm not liking this metaphor as much now that I realize it paints rain as bad. Rain isn't bad. One of my favorite things as a kid was to put on my bathing suit and run around outside in the summer rain.


A couple of people were definitely rays of sunshine this week.

Ray of sunshine # 1 - Linda Grimes

Over on the Debutante Ball it's been her launch week. Slightly confusing considering that her book, In A Fix, doesn't hit the shelves until September 4th. They are launching it this week, though, because it's been a year and it's time to change debs. Time flys!

Anywho - she's been answering questions - and some of those questions are about plotting novels. I read an arc of Linda's novel and I can honestly say - she's an expert plotter. Wait until you read her funny, funny, page-turner of a book.

Linda is a pantser. She says of her writing style:

"In a way, writing is like interactive reading for me–I sit in front of my laptop, think of what I’d like to see there on the screen if I were reading instead of writing, and then I type it. I start at the beginning–chapter one, paragraph one, line one–and keep going until the end. (Linear Linda, that’s me.) Not that I don’t go back and change things if necessary–I do. Sometimes something will happen later in the book that means what I wrote earlier won’t work, and I’m not so rigid that I refuse alterations."

This, and some other things she said, freed something inside of me. I've been stuck because I've been trying to fit my writing into a rigid structure that just doesn't work for me. Later for that!

Thanks Linda!


Ray of sunshine # 2 - Micki - one of the writers on willwriteforchocolate yahoo group posted a message about her own writing techniques. She said:

"I'd like to share some things I do when the action stalls -- and I'd like to hear what y'all do when things stop!

1. Have someone new come into the scene."

This is just part of what she said but it was what got me moving. I'm adding a minor character who will add spicy banter and edge and move the plot (and me) along nicely.

Thanks Micki.


Ray of sunshine #3 - Barbara Samuel O'Neal and #4 - John Vorhaus

Barbara put up a post about what keeps her writing even when she doesn't want to write. John put up a post about the practice of writing. Both are on Writer Unboxed.

Great quote from John: "Because the forces of evil are arrayed against the desire to write. And the biggest evil of all is the need to be good. Burdened by the unrealistic expectation of all quality all the time, we often find that we just can’t write at all."


Thanks Barbara and thanks John.

As for the rainbow - pretty simple really. I wrote today. On my WIP. And I know I'm going to write more. Today. And possibly tomorrow. I don't want to jinx myself but I think I'm back on track.

How was your week?

14 comments:

  1. Yay for being back on track! That's a wonderful rainbow to have in your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks. And you're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a very Loooooong week, felt like it lasted a month and it is not over yet. ahahahah Taking a break at work, shhh don't tell anyone.

    I like your post and the positive spin. {{skips off to find her rainbow}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing thinking of Judie skipping towards the rainbow.

      Delete
  4. Insanity ruled my week.Between being chained to my desk for intensive training for a new position (and I mean drain your brain intense) the muse decided to chatter. There I was, tooth picks holding up the eyelids and typing quick notes. One night I fell asleep right there at the keyboard--I only meant to rest my eyes, really! two hours later I stumbled into bed.

    I think what John said is dead on and once you realize the impossibility of being good with every word or scene it does free you to just write. What the hell, you're going to have to edit it anyway but you can't edit whats not down on paper, or erm, the computer screen.

    Yay on the wurdz!

    Sia McKye's Thoughts...OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for commenting! I've had those weeks, too.
      This week I was happy to stumble onto so many helpful blog messages.
      This is a great thought and well-worded: "What the hell, you're going to have to edit it anyway but you can't edit whats not down on paper, or erm, the computer screen."
      I might quote you!

      Delete
  5. Our weeks end and start in other places from most folks, but so far it's been a nice batch of days. I'm always happy when Dan is on vacation. ;)

    Next week is another short jaunt, for the anniversary, so that seems promising.

    Must agree, rain is not bad. Just wet. I'll be skipping off with Judie, come join us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe Julie - I feel sneaky cause I'm talking to you from work where your blog is blocked. (I've only found yours to be blocked, so far.)
      I like rain. Some time ago a little girl, the daughter of my friends, came to visit me right after a rain storm. She and I spent an hour outside jumping in puddles. Her mom said that for a week afterwards she woke up singing my name. Isn't that sweet?

      Delete
  6. Love your week of discovery and how you found answers in nature. I need to borrow your rainbow. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm scooping up some rainbow and sending it your way. Not a lot of rainbows in the desert, huh?

      Delete
  7. Hmm I'm just in job hunting land. It's bleh. Among a few other blehs. Bleh! And usually once too many blehs pile up I realize I haven't read my froggies--time flies right past me!--and so I sit down and catch up. And that provides plenty of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming I'm one of your froggies since you're catching up with me. I like being a froggie.

      Delete