Friday, October 19, 2012

Suffering through champagne, houseplants, writing and dogpaddling

I wrote recently of a new author whom I love - Sarah-Kate Lynch. I've read several of her books now and I'm telling you, she is fabulous.

In the beginning of House of Daughters there is this paragraph about her:

"A tireless researcher, Sarah-Kate Lynch trailed the byways of Ireland sampling dairy products for her first novel, Blessed Are the Cheesemakers, and perfected French sourdough bread for her second, By Bread Alone. In the interest of maintaining her artistic integrity regarding House of Daughters, she considers it her duty to drink as much champagne as she can possibly manage. As a result her website is not always up-to-date, but you can find it at www.sarah-katelynch.com."
 
Poor thing. Oh how she suffers for her art. Don't ya love it?

I'm told the sourdough bread recipe is in the back of By Bread Alone but I haven't gotten to that one yet. Can't wait cause I love a good sourdough.

<><><><><><>

I tackled the daunting task of getting all the houseplants in this week. They are all in a warm place with plenty of light.


Glenda the peace lily is so happy, she's about to bloom:

 
 
I also accomplished the near deadly task of planting La Diabla in her new home:
 
 


Of course she made me pay with little prickles in my hands for a couple of days. Which made it harder to do something else that I'm happy to say I've been doing - writing. I've managed  to make some headway on the work in progress by handwriting in a journal away from the computer. I'm enjoying it! October and November are great months for writing gothic. All that chilling Halloween and Dia de Los Muertos energy.

Last but not least, I've been dogpaddling in the deep end.

 
 
What have you been up to?


12 comments:

  1. A lovely blue pool and sourdough bread, my idea of heaven!

    You already know what I've been up to, but I have to tell you how much I love seeing what everyone else is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. It is nice to peer briefly into other people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah-Kate Lynch sounds like my kind of researcher. Yum!

    Love La Diabla's new home. Glad her prickles haven't kept you from writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't generally like clutter or things but I am a sucker for houseplants and books.

      Delete
  4. Yay for more writing! Sometimes a switch of medium is just the thing. Also, my housplant would like you to adopt it. I've killed all its brethren (sistren?) and it's lonely. Not to mention afraid for its life.

    I think I'll take up eating cupcakes as a way to stay faithful to my art. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes you want a write a book about chocolate doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. Hmm, I'd have to create a magical drink with some of the properties of chai and some of the properties of chocolate and some others I haven't sussed out to stay true to my WIP. Plus, y'know, the magic part. That would be the hardest.

    Are your plants going to hang out with the books all fall and winter? I think you are very brave to replant La Diabla. It is hard enough to replant an aloe with its prickles, and those are just on the edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - they're inside for the duration. And the books they are blocking aren't the ones I read more than once. That bookcase is in my room.

      Delete
  6. I love all your plants. They are so beautiful.

    I am just trying to get ready for Nano - it is fighting me this year. I was trying something different and it is not working out for me. So I suppose on Nov 1 I'll fly by the seat of my pants per usual. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flying by the seat of the pants seems to work for lots of good authors. Why not you?

      Delete
  7. Good for you that you're still at the swimming.

    And beautiful plants.

    Been reading that Caitlin Moran book--good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that book a lot. I put it down before finishing and I need to pick it back up again.

      Delete