Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I watched the most lovely movie tonight:

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Someone I trusted, I thought it was Robena but I couldn't find a post on her blog talking about it, recommended the movie, and I immediately put it in my netflix queue. That was some time ago and it has finally been released for renting.

I am so glad I did that.

It's about several retirees who move to India as a cheaper way to retire. It was filmed in India. The scenery is beautiful, colorful. The noise in the streets and the sunlight are indeed exotic.

I also loved the music. I've checked and I can put the soundtrack on my ipod. I plan to do that because it would be perfect to write to when I need to distract my internal editor; no words to make me lose my focus, yet very diversely, emotionally, evocative music.

 
 
Not pictured in the poster is Celia Imrie:
 
 
She also has a major role in the movie. (You might remember her from another great movie - Calendar Girls.)
 
If you want to see a visually, emotionally stimulating movie with a compelling script, a wonderful cast and a stirring soundtrack - I urge you to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.
 
I loved it.
 
And, until you get to see it - let me be the one to remind you -
 
"It will be okay in the end. And, if it's not okay; it's not the end."
 
The movie was based on the novel, These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I write this, here is what I look up at on the shelf above my monitor:
 
 
If you read my blog very often you may remember, Thanksgiving is the time of year that Alfonso cross-dresses in his lovely pink blooms. For some reason he has only bloomed on one side this year, but he's stunning, nonetheless.
 
UPDATED to add:
While I was commenting elsewhere I think I figured out why he's only bloomed on one side.
He's bloomed on the side of a plant named La Diabla, whom he likes, because all his stamens look like lots of erect penises.
On the other side is Gladys, who doesn't like his lothario ways and rejects all the love babies he tries to drop in her pot. So he isn't bloomed toward Gladys.
 
What's moving you to bloom lately?
 



8 comments:

  1. Oh yes, that's on my list too. :-)

    Loved Calendar Girls.

    And have you seen Made in Dagenham? You would LOVE it. Like Calendar Girls but with politics--the first general strike of women auto workers in the UK in the 1960s. So inspiring and feministy.

    Moving me? The tv show Michael Tuesdays and Thursdays, about a guy with general anxiety going through therapy. It's online but not viewable in the US!! So I can't make you guys all watch it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made in Dagenham looks good. I put it on my netflix queue. Thanks for the rec.

      Delete
  2. Alfonso is such a pretty guy. :) I wish I didn't kill every plant within a two mile radius.

    The movie looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Within a two mile radius - wow. Do the weed killer people know about you? Just kidding.

      Delete
  3. That one is on my Must See list -- can't wait!

    And Alfonso looks lovely in pink. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't he though? Good thing he has the courage to cross dress or we'd miss all the lovely blooms.

      Delete
  4. We always need movie recommendations, I hate most everything. But I (also) saw a review of this months ago, which I found on the rare and favorable side. Now that you've reminded me, we'll search it out at the video store. (Yes, I still have one, and LOVE it!) Are we talkin' HEA here?

    So glad you figured out the blooming situation. Love the photo. I think my mom might have one of those plants. But I'm like Dee, kill everything close by. Oh wait, our lettuces did well this summer...... Not sure that counts though, seems like "crops" should be in a separate category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a few happily ever afters, actually. No one ends up unhappy, either.

      Delete