Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Eat, XXXX*, Love

Most people reading my blog know I'm an atheist. So it probably comes as no surprise that when the book Eat, XXXX*, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert came out, I did not rush off to read it. Eventually, I got around to reading it for two reasons; one being that so many of my friends had read it and I wanted to understand the references and two being that it is a travelogue kind of book and I generally like those.

I really like the work of Frances Mayes, for example, and one of my favorite Susan Elizabeth Phillips books is Breathing Room where the down-on-her-luck heroine travels to Italy.

Sunday is the one day of the week where I don't have to 'go' anywhere. I was flipping through television channels in my efforts to entertain myself while procrastinating from doing any work on my wip. I came upon the movie, Eat, XXXX*, Love. I like Julia Roberts so I decided to watch the movie.

*(You may ask why I keep xing out the middle word. It's kind of a trigger word for me. I know that there are good people to whom it means a lot and who use it with loving kindness. But it's also thrown around in some fairly inappropriate places by some fairly opportunistic assholes. I tend to just avoid using it rather than giving it negative energy.)

Anywho - there is a concept in the movie / book that I think is valuable for everyone; THE SWEETNESS OF DOING NOTHING.

That's what I've been doing since I got off of work Sunday morning at 1am. Oh I haven't done absolutely nothing. I've read some. I've watched a lot of television. I've eaten. I've drank tea and hot chocolate and Airborne. I've started a very laid back exploration of One Note (similar to Scrivener) and started making notebooks of my manuscripts in various stages.

What I haven't done is get out of my pajamas or travel anywhere in my car or even venture outside or do laundry or wash dishes.

It's very rejuvenating, doing nothing.

Monday I usually have a couple of obligations but they both got cancelled so I continued with my pursuit of doing nothing.

Now Tuesday it's back to the busy world. Work. Laundry. Dishes. Dogpaddling. Some things with my grandkids.

I think I may enjoy it more, though, just from having taken a break.

It's kind of sad to me that mothers with young children find it almost impossible to have a whole day when they can enjoy THE SWEETNESS OF DOING NOTHING. I know most of them could use the renewal.

The movie had one other thing to offer. This man. I'm usually not 'attracted' to him, though I think he is a first rate actor, but in this movie - ooh la la:


Javier Bardem
 
As far as her travels are concerned - I would not have gone to the same places. She went to Italy, then India, then Bali.
 
I might have gone to Italy but if I did, while I would enjoy the food, I would focus on going to all the places that make cameos instead. I love cameos.
 
 
For my second country I would go to Denmark. And I would make side trips to Sweden and Norway. Find out what it's like to live in a place where atheism is more the norm. No offense to all of my good, faith-centered friends. I'd just like to experience what it's like to not feel defensive about that subject all the time. Also, I could pursue Van Gogh and Klimt there.
 
I could certainly get into ending my journey with some time on a tropical island. I might not choose to go outside the USA for that. Hawaii seems like it has a lot to offer.
 
Speaking of Hawaii - I think my campaign for Alex O'Louglin as James Bond (evenually when Daniel Craig is tired of doing it) may be catching on. On Hawaii Five O tonight, the show ended with O'Louglin in a tux and one of the cast members referred to him as 007. Thrilling, huh?
 
If you were traveling for a year, where would you go?

19 comments:

  1. I've never read that book, either, simply because the topic didn't interest me. Were I travelling for a year, however, I'd spend half in Europe (starting in Rome) admiring that gorgeous architecture and all the antiquities it has to offer. The other half would be spent roaming around my own country, playing tourist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly see the value of travelling in this country. We have a lot to offer. I've traveled extensively here but there are still whole areas of the country I haven't explored.

      Delete
  2. I don't love traveling, but I like being places. I'd get very tired of traveling for a year: six weeks was almost enough to do me in! But I'd probably hit Italy, the Scandinavian countries, more time in the British Isles, Greece. And I'd really like to check out New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the actual traveling. If only I had a transporter or I could just will myself there already.

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to go to Alaska near mid summer and watch the sun go around the sky. Then I'd be off to a warmer climate. Jump on our boat and go island hopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS when you XXXX out a 4 letter word I didn't think of THAT words. ahahahaha I have a potty mind. ;)

      Delete
    2. I'd be glad to go island hopping but those weird Alaskan days kind of freak me out.

      Delete
    3. Oh and I thought about the x's after I did it. I have a potty mind also but it's slower.

      Delete
  4. I read it, and although I enjoyed the first half of it, it got just a bit too much by the end. There's as much self-aggrandizing as there is anything about true personal growth, if you ask me. But then I'm a pretty major cynic. I've never seen the movie, but I love the idea of the sweetness of doing nothing (and I don't remember that being in the book, although it's been a long time since I read it). LOVE IT. Especially since that's about what I'm doing today. Thanks for helping me to not feel guilty about it. If I were going to travel for a year, I think it would all be in Europe--Ireland, Scotland, England, Scandanavia, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece. With maybe a swing through Turkey and a zip down to Morocco. In fact, a year probably wouldn't be long enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost put Ireland, Scotland in there instead of Italy. My ancestory is 7/8ths celtic.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read the book, but I do love concept of The Sweetness of Doing Nothing. Though I rarely do "nothing," the prospect of having nothing I MUST do is my favorite thing. When I have the rare day with nothing that requires my immediate attention...bliss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the book (and as such, did NOT see the movie), I had no expectations and am a faith-based person. I TOTALLY get why you Xed out the word though, I kind of cringe at it my own Pagan self elf.

    Could never pick a country, because I want to see and travel in/to/through so many. (Maybe that's what part of all this biking is about? I have wanderlust and don't even know it.)

    As to the issues of a previous post. When I am having those types of heart-wrenching conflicts with my loved ones I cry a lot. And now that I know how, I reach out for help. Dan usually is first in line, but I've also got a therapist now, and plenty of (as LondonMabel calls us) "Frogs" who are VERY kind, wise, and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And YES, I saw that 007 reference this week too! Thought of you instantly.

      Delete
    2. lol the reference made you think of me. I love it.

      Delete
  7. I love the thought of wallowing in nothing. It'd be like taking a big warm bath for an entire day. : )
    I couldn't get through the XXXX book. I went to the movie with a group of lady friends. They all loved it but I was so-so.
    If I had the chance to travel again it would be Italy or Scotland. I loved them both and would take off in a second if someone handed me a ticket. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about being handed a free ticket. I'd be saying bye bye, too.

      Delete
  8. Not planning to read it, but will get around to the movie sometime.

    I get your xxx thing. I feel fine about xxx, but I dislike most Christian terms and phrases, like "are you saved" and anything with "Jesus" in it. Shiver. It conjures up all the cheesy, fakey, yukky side of Christians and Christian music and tv preachers.

    Coming from Montreal, I do know how it feels to have atheism accepted as the norm. My friends have varying degrees of spirituality (wiccan, Buddhist, etc) but no one's Christian, no holy rollers. Even the Catholics and such who go to church, it's not something they talk about. No one cares what you believe. Which I am so, so thankful for.

    Nanaimo has an older population, and it's a smaller city, so people are more church going. But it's still a non-issue as far as I've experienced.

    I think I'd go MENTAL in a place like where you live. Coming from a Christian background, with some interesting experiences in fundamentalism, I have some very firm arguments about what I believe and they are VERY well thought out, and I refuse to back down from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. I encountered a pushy xtian at my gkids gym just last night. Hope I don't have bad energy everytime I see her now!

      Delete