Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Coffee, writing and fun

UPDATE: pop over to the uber-cool Delia Moran's blog. I know you'll like her so give her a follow and a comment before Friday 1/11 and win free stuff!!!

<><><><><><><><>

Nothing like a change of scenery to get my creative juices flowing. Or in my case a change of acts.

I was so tangled up in act one and not getting any writing done. I made a conscious decision to move on to act two and voila...writing ocurred; placeholders changed; a new haunted house fell in my lap.

And the best part - it was all fun.

I woke up very late Sunday with a plethora of ideas for act two and a scene forming in my head.

I heard the tv on in the other part of the house and I just couldn't risk it. I called my mom from my room and told her I was headed out to write.

I arrived at Fidalgo Bay and ordered a coffee. Fortunately I had brought my ipod as there were some very chatty folks there. I have a playlist full of eerie songs from Dead Can Dance. Do you know them?  Here's one: Neirika

 
 
I haven't been able to replace my laptop yet so I was handwriting. I wrote solidly for about two hours. Got most of the scene done and all the notes for other scenes. Then I came home to the empty house and wrote the rest of the scene.
 
Yippee!
 
Mimi's placeholder is now Liv Tyler. In one of my favorite movies, Stealing Beauty, she is constantly writing little snippets of poetry:
 
 
Keeping Juanes as Donovan, this is working well. I'm in the process of changing placeholders for the villain, too.
 
I do what I have to do.
 
<><><><><><><><><>
 
In other news - it's debut day for Jessica Lemmon. Head over to her blog, buy Tempting the Billionaire, and congratulate her. She's funny. The book is certain to be a good read.
 
<><><><><><><><><>
 
Readers - what are you reading that's really good lately?
 
Writers - do you write in a linear fashion or all over the book?
 
<><><><><><><><><>
 
I'm now hours overdue for zzzzz's so - catch y'all later!
 


15 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how just a change of location can get the juices flowing? Glad to hear you're writing again. :)

    I'm reading a ton of YA (stock and trade, don't ya know), much of it good, some of it not. I do sometimes skip around while I write, but I find that if I write a later scene, then an earlier scene, I always have to go back and rewrite the later scene. The earlier scene always introduces things that would have informed the later one, if that makes sense. More work for me. I try to avoid it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I run into that - earlier scene informing later scene and having to rewrite - thing, also. Sometimes it's the only way I can write, though.
      I think Hungry Ghosts may be the only thing I've ever written linearly except maybe poetry.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Dead Can Dance! They are awesome.

    Glad you were able to get writing done.

    I wrote my novel linearly, but I also write all over the place. It just varies on how my mind is working at the time. I have a feeling the revisions will be more along the all over the place kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too, through all their many incarnations. I think Spiritchaser may be my favorite.

      Delete
  3. I'm a linear writer, also a pantser, but when I get stuck I know it is almost certainly that I missed something major in a prior chapter. I then have to go back and tweak before I can move forward again.

    In fact I did that very thing today. I was in the middle of Lowes buying poppies to plant in my patio pots and a thought hit me fair and square between the brows. Had to run home write everything down, plant, clean up and then hit the WIP. By adding only six sentences to an earlier chapter, I then went on to write hundreds of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing, Robena. 6 sentences, huh. I've had that sensation hit before, though. You have to get it all down, or notes on it, as soon as possible.

      Delete
  4. I am reading an autobiography. I love them. This one is especially good because Denise is a very spiritual person, so I'm learning quite a bit from her journey.

    But I also just picked up the next book in that Temeraire series I found last year, which I can't wait to start. The first four were outstandingly good.

    I am SO glad that you had a chance to write and that you DID write! Yipee for progress and wonderfully positive forward momentum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie - I love it when I find a series of books I enjoy reading. Glad that is happening for you.
      Also - I can get into a good autobiography or memoir. Lately I want to read Apollo Ono's book. I heard it's really good and he's a fellow water lover.

      Delete
    2. My library doesn't have it, the rat bastards.

      (I'll go request it, I love that kid.)

      Delete
    3. Spelling counts. (Apolo Anton Ohno)

      They do have it, and now I'm on the list.

      Delete
    4. Wow I didn't think about looking for it at the library. Duh!

      Delete
  5. YaY for getting unstuck.

    Right now I'm reading the last Robert Jordan book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I write linear.

    Glad you unstuck-ed-ed!

    ReplyDelete