Friday, January 11, 2013

Paranormal Romance Novel: Under the Moon by Author: Natalie J. Damschroder

Under the Moon is the first in the Goddesses Rising series by Natalie J. Damschroder .

The tagline for Natalie's website is 'Love with a Shot of Adrenaline' - this novel is love with a huge dose of adrenaline.

Seriously. One thing Natalie appears to be a true expert at is pacing. I was half way through the book and for some reason the second half wouldn't load. It was 430 in the am and I was frantic with the need to finish the book. Most of you know I'm not very technically inclined so it took a couple of days to figure things out and then I sat down and devoured the rest.

She's a compelling storyteller. She creates characters you love and root for who spend a lot of time on the page and with each other. She creates characters you loathe who don't spend too much time on the page. I hate when I have to be in the presence of loathesome villains constantly. Overkill, people. Don't do it. Just write enough of them that I know they need to go down.

Damschroder creates a version of Earth where there are Goddesses of various power levels all with different skills. She brings us along for the ride with one of the Goddesses and her Protector.

"Quinn's skin prickled. She closed the phone, frowning. Nick never came until at least the week before new moon, when she was most vulnerable. In the fifteen years of their relationship, he'd never come a whole week early.
Something big had to be happening."

There's Nick, her sexy protector whom she loves but can never have:

"Why would she fight having a hot, rugged, mysterious guy at her side? Especially one who drove a muscle car and wore a beat-up leather jacket, trappings she knew were meaningless, but damn, they were hot."

 And there's Sam, her assistant, who has always been available when her body needs to 'recharge':

"I'm still here." He stood and came around the desk, and she couldn't help but look at him now. He dwarfed her, filling her vision, his scent flooding her senses, feeding the grinding need she'd battled for weeks. She kept her lids shuttered so he couldn't see the inevitable dilation of her pupils and take the reaction the wrong way. Her moon lust knew what Sam could give her, her body giving a Pavlovian response to his nearness.
Tapping her power source had a price."

There's also a quirky cast of characters, a bar that Quinn inherited and lives above, a practice of using her talents to help others -- and trouble. There is definitely trouble heading Quinn's way that could mean the end of life as she knows it.

As with all good romance novels it wraps up in a happily ever after with Quinn and... oops, can't tell you that. Don't want to spoiler.

Guess you'll just have to read it.

I got it on a kindle daily deal day. I didn't know about them until recently but now I'm signed up and I love it.  I paid 99 cents but it is well worth the regular price which on amazon is $4.99 for the kindle and $11.69 for the paperback.

Book #2 in the series - Heavy Metal - is scheduled to come out July 30, 2013 and believe me, it's on my book buy list.

Natalie has lots of other books I want to check out and a blog: Indulge Yourself
Read what you want, watch what you want, and live a life that makes you happy.

Do you live a life that makes you happy? Seems like an easy question to answer - but sometimes it's not.

7 comments:

  1. Oh JJJ the TBR list you create for me.

    Sounds like a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds awesome. I will look into it.

    Am I living a life that makes me happy? Well, I am working toward it, so that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J & S - Do you have a tb watched movie list? Moonrise Kingdom! If you like quirky characters, dry humor and different than the usual scenery - no hollywood pretty pretty but nonetheless aesthectically pleasing - great movie. I loved it.
    & S - I commend you for doing the work - walk your path or be dragged and you are definitely walking upright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I haven't read any of Natalie's books. Will change that right away. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Robena. In your case, I think it's an even exchange because I always get good recommendations from you, too.

      Delete
  5. Well, my life isn't always happy... but I live it as honestly as I can, and I think that sets me up for happiness to always return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful truth!

      Delete