Friday, March 1, 2013

Romance Suspense Novel: Kilt Dead by Author: Kaitlyn Dunnett

How can a contemporary romance lover get some of that hot kilt action?

Liss MacCrimmon books by Kaitlyn Dunnett, that's how.

Okay let me back up a few steps. February was my local library's 'I love to read' month. Sign up. Read. And win prizes. I already won a key chain and a reading light.

But I'm going for the gold. I just finished the last of 15 books so I can win the book bag!



I love my library, btw. It's a big, airy, light-filled building with librarians who love to talk about books.



So, anywho, I 'm randomly cruising the library looking for books and I spy Kilt Dead by Kaitlyn Dunnett. I picked it up because the title is clever. I never figured on reading it because usually the kilt-clad men are in historicals and y'all know I don't have much appetite for historicals.

Imagine my surprise when I find it is a contemporary. Not so much a romance as a mystery book with a little romance thrown in, but still...

Men in kilts. For me. Be still my runaway heart.

Gerard Butler

The hero in the book is never in a kilt but other men are:

"Most people would have kept their eyes on the twenty-eight-pound granite stone Pete held at shoulder height, wondering if it would break the local record of thirty-five feet. Forewarned by the laughter in Sherri's voice, Liss watched Pete's kilt. He spun three times in a circle. Each rotation sent the fabric billowing higher. The final revolution, just before he let go of the stone, lifted the hem above his thighs.
A traditional Scot wasn't supposed to wear anything at all beneath the kilt, but this was an American version of the Highland games and Pete Campbell, though he'd passed on the more usual cut-offs and bicycle shorts, wasn't about to risk arrest for indecent exposure. Swim trunks patterned in fluorescent purple and chartreuese flowers winked at spectators for a split second before the concealing folds of the Campbell tartan settled back to knee level." Kilt Dead by Kaitlyn Dunnett

In Kilt Dead I stumbled upon the first in a series:
2 - Stone Cold Dead
3 - A Wee Christmas Homicide
4 - The Corpse Wore Tartan
5 - Scotched
6 - Bagpipes, Brides and Homicides
7 - Vampires, Bones and Treacle Scones due out July, 2013

This first one is good and the beginning of a romance. Liss MacCrimmon has been touring the world for years as a dancer in a Scottish version of the Irish sensation, Riverdance. She has a career ending knee injury at the same time that her aunt needs her to come and run her business; The Scottish Emporium.

Running her aunt's business leads to a dead body in the stock room.

The mystery is solved in the end and along the way I learned to love Liss MacCrimmon, Dan Ruskin, the town of Moosetookalook, and most of it's inhabitants.

I will be going back for more.

Do you think men in kilts are sexy?

Do you have Scottish blood in you? If so, what clan?

I have Campbell blood in me. There are many Campbell tartans. Not sure which is ours but here is my favorite one:

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect series for a mystery love like me, who also happens to appreciate men in kilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I've got book #2 on the way.

      Delete
  2. This sounds delightful, and just from that short excerpt can see the author has a good sense of humor. And I love, love, love the name of the town. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked that town name, too.

      Delete
  3. Oh hells yeah to all of it. *wipes drool off chin*

    Stuart here. Or maybe Stewart. Whichever one didn't get to keep ruling Scotland. Off to buy books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stuart/Stewarts did have their troubles. We were told by someone from Scotland that the Campbell clan was so vicious that members frequently changed their names. Yikes. Don't think I got that trait, thank goodness.

      Delete
  4. I say "yes" to kilts.

    No Scottish blood that I'm aware of. We come from the Isle of Man so kind of in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - you're still a celt.

      Delete
  5. No Scottish blood for me, and the highlander historicals have become so cliched that I vowed never to read another one. But as a contemporary it sounds kind of fun, I might have to check these out. But mainly I am just deeply, seriously envious of your library. Ours is too small to be anything but barely adequate, even though the librarians are universally wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will they do inter or inner library loans for you? I can ask for books from the other two libraries in my county and once a week when the bookmobile tours the area, it brings them.
      I can also ask for books not in my library county. I have gotten some very obscure books from 3 or 4 states away. It is awesome!
      You're right. I'm lucky. And I know it.

      Delete
  6. Your library is lovely! And prizes for reading? NICE!!!

    Hooooo yeah, kilts! (We need to make Dan model his for the blog, now that I think of it.)

    Jotting this down now: new series, men in kilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan in a kilt. Wow. Does J.D. have one, too? It would be so cool to see father and son in kilts.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's WHY Dan has one. They are called Tactile Kilts and they were a super special item sold by the company the guys buy their cop equipment from. Jade ordered one for each of them as a belated birthday present. So far though, I have been unable to get them both into them for modeling purposes. But I refuse to give up.

      Delete
    3. TACTICAL not tactile, that would just be weird.

      Delete
    4. you must work on that. what a great photo that would be.

      Delete
  7. I like men in all kinds of skirts :-)

    If you're ever in the mood for more Scottish mystery, Hamish Macbeth was a great TV series and there seems to be some on youtube.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjNkEAxo6H4

    (They were books first, but I haven't read them.)

    I am part Sco'ish indeed, a Gunn! And my husband is Grant--has freckles and red hair. And though he doesn't own a kilt, he does have the calves for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "he does have the calves for them" - sweet.
    Hey Scottish sister! Campbells and Gunn's probably fueded but who cares.
    I'll check out the Hamish Macbeth.

    ReplyDelete