Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A question that is important to me

Probably some of you are familiar with Julia Cameron. She has written many books including The Artists Way.

Lately I've been making my way slowly through her book -The Writing Diet: Write Yourself Right-Size.

In the book she speaks of her belief that people often overeat when they are procrastinating in doing something creative.

I buy this to a certain extent.

I have also read that artists are artists because they have something to say. I don't mean necessarily in words, sometimes in paint stokes, musical notes, etc, etc, etc.

I also buy that to a certain extent.

Julia advises journaling and writing morning pages.

The question I have is - is there value in being an artist - in saying what you have to say - if no one is listening?

If I know that I can finish a book, write a journal page, write out my feelings in the morning, but no one witnesses these things - is there value in this?

7 comments:

  1. Yes, absolutely. The value is to you, the writer, making you stronger. The same way rehearsing a play is valuable to an actor. You wouldn't just go live on opening night without a lot of practice behind you. Just because there isn't an audience applauding during the rehearsal phase doesn't mean it the rehearsal isn't an integral part of the performance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Linda said. (Linda's smart.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Definitely.
    When I started my blog many years ago, I didn't enable comments. I used it more as a journal and a place for family living in other countries to go and catch up on my life. Then I started to write one entry a month and I opened it to the public. There were no commenters. : )Then I wrote one post a week, and sometimes now even two blog posts a week.
    The blogging/journaling experience has helped me to grow as a writer. I love my commenters and consider them friends. I love to see how they react, and I always comment back, as if we're all seated at lunch somewhere. ; )The blog helps me with writing dialogue and developing characters in the stories I write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I consider all creative work to be valid, even if no one else ever sees it, even if it's written or sculpted or painted or whatever just for you. What's important is that you are doing the creative work you were "made" to do and that, in my opinion, releases positive energy into you and the world around you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Skye Said. I'd say more, but I'm behind on blogging ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. Although I'm not currently writing fiction I blog nearly every day. The value of creative work exists by the simple fact if its creation, not in whether it is seen or experienced by others.

    If I was a painter and produced a work of heart-stunning beauty would it be less so if nobody else saw it? No. It would still be beautiful. The same goes for the written words that only the writer reads.

    The two books that I wrote and had published are good, entertaining works. They sold comparatively few copies for the publisher. Now that I put them up in e format, they sell perhaps 100 copies a month. Their validity as art is not reduced by their lack of sales oomph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got here late, but my answer is also yes.

    I blog and I journal and I cross-stitch and I bake. All of them creations of different sorts. All of them seen or not seen, but all of them valid forms of effort, and creativity.

    (Can't wait to hear more about this book, too.)

    ReplyDelete