Friday, April 12, 2013

Going back for more

In my last blogpost I asked the question:

The question I have is - is there value in being an artist - in saying what you have to say - if no one is listening?

The commenters all agreed that it was valuable with various different reasons why.

I asked the question because lately I've considered not writing anymore because I've lost my motivation currently and I'm just not putting my butt in the chair and my fingers on the keyboard. I know part of this is because my laptop died and I've yet to replace it. Writing in a chair on my desktop is not the same. But I wasn't always consistent even with a functioning laptop.

The problem is I have ideas and characters I can't seem to let go of.

Ah well - not an issue that will be resolved today.

On the other hand - I've read some good books this week.

Erin McCarthy's book Seeing Is Believing was an excellent book in the always enjoyable EM style. The main characters - Piper and Brady - are still with me. The book is a sequel to Heiress For Hire which she wrote some years ago - also a good book.

In the back of the book is a preview of a new series - the True series, first book out as an ebook on May 7th. I was already excited about it because I love her series. So excited I signed up to be on her street team so you can bet you'll hear more about it. The excerpt made me even more excited.

Also in the back of the book is a preview of Full Throttle which we have to wait until Dec for, unfortunately. I think it is the last in the Fast Track series which I blogged about here and here . Already I'm chomping at the bit to read the story of Rhett and Shawn!

If you read my blog very often you know - I'm not into the vampire thing. But if you are, Erin has written several books with vampire characters. I haven't read them and yet I trust her work enough to tell you - if you like that sort of book - they can't possibly be anything but good.

Deirdre Martin's book, Hip Check, the latest in her hockey player series was one of the best in a very good series, IMHO. When I went to find a link for a blogpost I had written about her, I only found a mention. I will try to put up a post about the book on Tuesday because she deserves better than just a mention.

And, oh, last, but certainly not least, dear readers - eat your heart out - I read Quick Fix - the sequel to In A Fix - by Linda Grimes. It doesn't come out until August but I won an ARC. Hehehe!!!!! Book 2 is every bit as funny as book 1. Lovable characters Ciel, Billy and Mark are back along with the rest of the cast of zany characters. When you finally get to read it (hehehe), you're going to LOVE it.

Sorry - that's not last because I forgot - I read Get Dumped part 1 by Tawna Fenske this week. I don't have to tell you it was funny if you read her blog or have read any of her books. It is one of those ebooks where at a certain point you can pick a direction for the book to go in. It was good. It ended with a cliffhanger because it is a short, sweet book leading to a second book which I intend to put on my kindle as soon as I finish this post. Fun, I tell ya!

Is there anybody whose work you are following with glee onto second, third, hundredth, books?

9 comments:

  1. Awww, thank you so much for the kind words. The second episode of GETTING DUMPED has three choice points, so that should keep you occupied for awhile.

    Also, I agree that IN A FIX and QUICK FIX are both fantastic. Since Linda Grimes is one of my critique partners, I get a sneak peek at everything she writes. Don't hate me :)

    Tawna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see you and Linda as critique partners. I would love to be a fly on the wall at one of your discussions.

      Delete
  2. Well, Jenny Crusie, of course. And I do kinda like that Tawna Fenske chick ;-)

    I had a rough patch last year when the words just weren't flowing, the ideas sputtered, and I thought maybe it was time to just hang it up.

    I'm kinda glad I didn't :-)

    Hang in there, babe. You are a GREAT WRITER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - thanx for the encouragement.
      BTW you would love Linda. Think Tawna-type humor with a main character who can adapt auras and become other people.

      Delete
  3. What nice surprise to come here and read you talking about Erin McCarthy who is not only a great writer, but also a friend of mine. Rather fond of the books I've read by Diedre Martin and Tawna Fenske too.

    I have several authors whose books I will read 'til death do us part. Right now one of my BFFs, Beth Ciotta has the second of her Cupcake Lovers series out -- The Trouble with Love. Loving it! I'm also looking forward to her next book in her steampunk romance series His Clockwork Canary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read and loved all of Erin's books and contributions to anthalogies except the vampire stuff.
      I have a Ciotta blogpost planned. I like her, too.

      Delete
  4. I'm ignoring the books you got to read but I didn't and going back to the creativity thing. I know I agreed with Linda last time (and still do), but on one condition. That you enjoy it. Creativity for the sake of it is wonderful as long as it brings you joy. If it brings you angst and guilt and frustration, it may be time to ask why you're doing that to yourself. I thought I remembered you being creative in other ways. (Perhaps?) Maybe those have been enough to fulfill you. I don't know, but I do know that life is to short to do what you don't love because you think you're supposed to.

    Either way, my wish for you is that you figure it out without too much more trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I'm not very talented in other areas creatively. I think I've just hit a glitch and I need to defrag or something.

      Delete
  5. Awww, thank you! Sorry I missed this on Friday--it's been a helluva time in Casa Grimes lately.

    And, of course, I agree entirely about Tawna--she would be a must-read-immediately for me even if I weren't her CP. I love to laugh during the sexy stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete