Friday, May 10, 2013

conflict

Yesterday while I was flailing around in the pool water looking like a demented whale - I had a realization about my work-not-in-progress.

The main character can't do the black windows rituals. She needs to hate / fear black windows because of the rituals that her parents made her sit through. So much that she designs and is obsessed with window treatments.

If all her issues are already resolved it will be a very boring book.

Now whether or not that realization will translate into me actually writing...

8 comments:

  1. I kinda like boring books. But then, I write with no conflict, topic, nor plot. ;-)

    From the last post: thank you for sharing the joy of your grandkids with us. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good revelation. Conflict is key. (Well, in fiction. In real life, it sucks.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep a good protag / antag throw down goes a long way.

      Delete
  3. You can do it. Just get the words down and fix it all later. As Nora says, you can't fix a blank page. ; )And by pushing through you'll find other ideas will surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I should be listening to Nora as I'm writing a modern gothic romance novel and she sure knows her way around those.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is a fascinating issue! And yes, conflict is important. Like my novel draft is kind of lacking in any organic conflict. Or rather, any organically handled conflict. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you oodles of fun finding that and putting it in your novel. Really. Not being sarcastic. I'm told it can be fun.

      Delete