Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Gothic Romance Novel: Sommersgate House by Author: Kristen Ashley



I know. I know. Y’all are sick of hearing about KristenAshley. 

But listen up, I discovered a whole new nuance of her and it will be good even for those of you who don’t like gratuitous sex and excess cursing.

It’s not really a series. There are no reoccurring characters. On her website the books are listed under the titles heading in the category: Ghosts and Reincarnation.

There are 5 books. It doesn’t say if she plans anymore. I have read the first 3 and have the other 2 on my kindle app waiting. I will be reading number 4 probably starting tomorrow.

They have a modern gothic romance flavor to them. They don’t quite make the genre, though, because there are things missing. They have the alpha male. They don’t have the innocent female. They don’t have the kids at risk. They have the supernatural elements. So far, they have had houses and castles.

Yes, they are modern. These castles are in England and Scotland. Here is a quote from her website about the castles:

“An important FYI: Three books in my Ghosts and Reincarnation Series take place in my favorite National Trust properties. Penmort Castle is based on Dunster Castle. Sommersgate House takes place in a property based on Tyntesfield. And Lacybourne Manor in one based on Clevedon Court. If you ever have the opportunity, my strong recommendation is to see these beautiful properties and hopefully, one day, you can read these books that fictionally take place in them. To learn more about The National Trust, go to: www.nationaltrust.org.uk

The books are full of funny situations and funny banter:

“Goodnight.” She turned to go but his voice calling her name stopped her. She turned back. “Yes?” she asked…
 “Last time you said goodnight to me in this room, it came with a kiss.”…
“I wasn’t annoyed with you last time,” she informed him haughtily….
“I’ll bear that in mind the next time we have a late evening conversation,” he replied, then he picked up the phone and she felt her best bet at that point was to flee the room. Which was exactly what she did. ------------------Sommersgate House by Kristen Ashley

Crazy characters:

“Mom?”
“Yes, baby, it’s your mother. Your sister phoned and told me you had a sure thing so I had to call.”
Sibyl dropped her forehead into her hand, rested her elbow on her thigh and closed her eyes in despair.
Her bloody, bloody sister.
Her bloody, bloody mother.
Who else on earth had two relatives that were so interested in their daughter/sibling’s sex life?...
“It’s midnight, baby, and I’m about to go out and commune with nature,” her mother answered. “I thought I’d give you a buzz before I draw down the moon to see how your night went but I guess I don’t have to ask.”
“Mom –”
“Is he cute?”
“Mom –”
“Did you have an orgasm?”
“Mom!”
“What? Oh, yes, you probably can’t talk now, since he’s there. And if I take up your time, you might miss a morning quickie.” -----------------------Lacybourne Manor by Kristen Ashley

Viscous ghosts:

Vivianna came tearing toward them again. And she again slammed into the circle, more blazing lights burst and she sailed back.
They watched, everyone inching slightly nearer to the circle as she did this again. And again. And again.
Then she stopped, suspended in the air in the middle of the circle. Eyes on Cash then on Abby, she opened her mouth and screamed. This scream was different, still eerie but filled with frustration.
 “That’s it, wee ghosty. Scream all you want. We’ve got you now,” Angus’s voice came from a now visible body. He was standing at the edge of the circle, in full kilt, hands on hips, grinning like the lunatic he was at Vivianna. -----------------------------Penmort Castle by Kristen Ashley

There’s reincarnation, legends, ghosts, modern day flawed, lovable characters all weaved through captivating stories in appealing, out-of-the-ordinary settings.

There are some f-bombs dropped but no c or p bombs and not nearly as much cursing as the rest of her books. There is detailed sex but not as graphic, not as much, and appropriate within context.

There are the required HEA’s and as usual for KA – lots of little chapters towards the ends that are almost postscripts and sometimes epilogues about the characters, ghosts, and creatures in the books.

I’ve read Sommersgate House, Lacybourne Manor and Penmort Castle. I’m off to gobble up Fairytale Come Alive and Lucky Stars.

I’m glad Kristen Ashley is so prolific because I love everything she writes.

Speaking of prolific – if you read Motorcyle Man from the Dream Man series or started the Chaos series with Own The Wind – book 2 of the Chaos series is out today – Fire Inside - $3.79 on amazon for Kindle.

Have you checked out Kristen Ashley yet? If so, what did you think?

5 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read # 4 and I'm working on #5. So far so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound like they're right up my alley. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Linda, mine too! Thanks (again) J3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Linda & Julie - I finished the last one. I loved them so much that I emailed Kristen to ask if there would be more. She replied that she had no definite plans but it was possible.

    ReplyDelete