Friday, July 26, 2013

Followup on Julia Cameron

Back in April I wrote a blogpost about Julia Cameron's book The Writing Diet: Write Yourself Right-Size.

To simplify - one of Julia's premises is that creative people become overweight because they overeat when they postpone creating or neglect to create.
The last few days have been different than my normal routine. I had more time off than usual and I had the house to myself.

I filled this time by going on a writing binge. Monday night, Tuesday 24/7 and during the early hours of Wednesday I wrote for a while, stopped to nap, wrote for a while, ate something, wrote for a while, moved around some - you get the idea.

Anywho - Wednesday and Thursday I did not feel compelled to write. I was sated on putting together words to form story - again you get the idea.

Rethinking this in terms of Julia's premise - All 3 days my eating was no better or worse than usual and my willingness to 'move' was no better or worse than usual.

I think the conclusion I come to is - it's just not that simple. It is not a matter of an instance of delayed creativity creates an instance of overeating.

I do believe that long-term avoidance of creativity for the creative person results in lots of negative things, possibly including overeating.

And I also believe that there is value in Julia's book.

Does your creativity or lack thereof effect your eating habits?

4 comments:

  1. Not directly, no. But as you say, long-term avoidance of creativity results in a lot of negative things. For me, this avoidance results in messed up moods, which can sometimes lead to overeating (but not so much of that recently) and a lack of motion (I might as well be made of stone at this point). Acting on my creativity is necessary for my mental and physical health, I think. Now why don't I do it? Well, that's another story. Or more therapy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm? Very interesting.
    Yep, I think when I'm in the process of discovering my story (the new, shiny, creative stage) I tend to move more. I walk and think. When things have slowed, or I'm stumped, then I do feed on carbs and I don't exercise as much. : )
    So from that I have learned when in a slump move! Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY interesting. And in all of these books we've discovered (between the two of us, it's a boat-load), we've gained insight. Knowledge is key!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Skye - I don't know why I don't do it even without the Julia Cameron angle.

    @Robena - I admire you for how well you know yourself and apply that knowledge in positive ways.

    &Julie - Knowledge is certainly a key.

    ReplyDelete