Friday, August 23, 2013

Elmore and JAK

August 20th, 2013 Elmore Leonard died at the age of 87. He wrote popular crime, suspense and western novels.

He wrote a book titled: Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing. It is a much loved book amongst writers. Personally, some of it I agree with, but, and I say this with great respect for him, some of it I don't.

According to Wikipedia - "Twenty-six of Leonard's novels and short stories have been adapted for the screen (19 as motion pictures and another seven as television programs)."

That is both wonderful for him and at the same time sad for the hundreds of successful women writing out there who have yet to see one of their books adapted for film or television.

One such woman who, IMHO,  deserves some screen time, is Jayne Ann Krentz, but we'll get to that in a minute.

Meanwhile, RIP Elmore Leonard. You will be missed and the shelves of bookstores and libraries will be a sadder place without new editions from you.

In other news - there is a wonderful interview with Jayne Ann Krentz circulating. It's titled Romance's Mystery Woman byline Bobbi Dumas over at Kirkus. It's really good.

If you are not familiar with JAK, I've reviewed her books, written as Jayne Ann Krentz, Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle; here, here, here, here, and here.

She currently writes 3 books a year; a paranormal contemporary romance as Krentz, a paranormal historical romance as Amanda Quick and a futuristic romance as Castle.

This year she wrote 4 books and therefore next year we will have a bonus book to read; a contemporary romance that has no paranormal elements, titled River Road. It comes out in January of 2014.

Her last of this year will be Deception Cove, a Jayne Castle futuristic romance due out August 27th, 2013.

Although her books have interwoven characters and settings with JAK new readers can pick up any book anywhere and dig in, because they all stand alone very well.

Do you have a favorite Elmore Leonard book?

A favorite of Krentz in any of her names?

Who is the woman writer whose work you would most like to see adapted to the screen?

6 comments:

  1. I've never read Elmore Leonard, and only one JAK so far. Thanks for the links-- great interview with JAK and that led me to the interviewer's "read a romance a month" site which has some great stuff on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I've read a couple of Leonard's crime novels (I don't read westerns). But I'm a huge fan of JAK's! My very very very favorite of hers has no paranormal aspects (I'm said that pretty much all of her books now do). It's called All Night Long and I'm totally in love with Luke, the hero. I want my very own Luke in my life. It's a Romantic Suspense (Suspenseful Romance?) and the two main characters have terrific chemistry. The heroine is not the typical romance heroine. It's just plain good, complete with humor here and there to keep it from getting too heavy (cuz it's pretty scary in places, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've probably read that one somewhere along the way. I was obsessed by her when I first found her. I'll have to look that one up for re-read.

      Delete
  3. I love Get Shorty--just rewatched it recently.

    Movie-wise, I assume the problem is that men go to movies more and are assumed to be the money making audience. The problem that all chick-starring movies have. Alack alas. As someone who rarely sees movies in the cinema... I kinda understand the MoneyMoneyMoney dudes in Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - it's never simple. One wonders, though, if more movies were made of women's work, with women characters (and not just one woman surrounded by men), etc, if more women would go to movies.

      Delete