Friday, September 13, 2013

2 great writers give 6 great writing tips

If you're friends with JAK* & SEP** on facebook you may be following their 3 writing secrets.

JAK's # 1:  "FIND YOUR CORE STORY" She has more to say and it really struck a cord in me. I will be exploring my core story and expanding on this topic.

SEP's # 1:   "YOU LEARN TO WRITE BY WRITING!"

JAK's # 2: "WHEN YOU SIT DOWN TO WRITE DON'T THINK ABOUT THE WHOLE BOOK THAT IS WAITING TO BE WRITTEN. FOCUS, INSTEAD, ON THE NEXT SCENE."

SEP's # 2:"Give yourself permission to put imperfection on the screen!"

JAK's # 3: "FIND YOUR OWN VOICE" and don't let anything diminish it.

SEP's # 3: "Everybody won't like everything you write. Some people won't like anything you write. Get over it!"

It all sounds like excellent advice and, of course, it comes from 2 prolific, successful writers whose books I love.

Going to explore these further. Especially JAK's # 1 which really spoke to me.

If you are a writer - does one of the above tips speak to you strongly? Which one? Why?


*I have sung the praises of Jayne Ann Krentz's books here, here, here, and here.

**I have sung the praises of Susan Elizabeth Phillip's books here.

4 comments:

  1. I'm all current! And now feel more qualified to answer questions. Like, how to get re-motivated for movement.

    The thing that I've learned recently, which has helped me the most is: no numbers in health.
    No calories, no minutes, no reps, no pounds,
    no numbers of any kind.

    Do what makes you feel good. Enjoy what you are doing. Set small, simple goals. And never feel bad if you don't meet them, because in reality, they are just suggestions anyway.

    Also? Seeing Robena wander back and forth in that last interview clip absolutely made my day! Thanks J3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two that resonate the most with me are JAK 1 and 2. I need to work on those. And the others, but definitely those. And I much prefer JAK's books to SEP's. SEP's always make me cringe for the main character too much, which I find difficult to handle. But I do read her some. And I hated Glitter Baby a lot. Although, I did prefer JAK's non-paranormal contemporaries. I'm sorry that she has gone all paranormal. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Julie - I'll take the #'s thing into consideration. I know I have enjoyed workouts better when I stop and start things by song rather than #. (lift weights the length of one song then walk the length of another, lather rinse repeat.)
    And the Robena thing - sweet, right?

    Skye - it's funny how we are all so different. I don't normally like paranormals but I love JAK's.
    You'll be happy to know she has a non-paranormal contemporary coming out in early 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bah, I'm staying away from writing advice right now, after a few years of immersing myself. Need to clear my heaD!

    ReplyDelete