Monday, November 4, 2013

BSO, love, Mary Oliver, Death, J.D. Robb, plants, plants and more plants...

Over on Re-Inventing Fabulous Barbara Samuel O'Neal wrote a blogpost on consistency.

While not the subject of the blogpost - she used a quote that I had read a long time ago and forgotten:

“You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.” Mary Oliver

I love Mary Oliver.

So what does the soft animal of my body love?

It loves reading, of course. Right now it is cruising through J. D. Robb's In Death series with great enjoyment.

It loves having written. Notice I didn't at this time say it loves writing. Lately I haven't been giving it much of this enjoyment.

It loves time spent with my grandkids. And it's that time of year again. Quilt block time. So now added to our weekly trips to the fitness center together, we are also enjoying sewing time.

It loves playing with the house plants. I have just done a major 3 room overhaul so they have room in the spaces with the most light.

I repotted Gladys the aloe. She's getting older and she wasn't flourishing in her old soil. I mixed her up one part soil, one part sand and one part fine gravel. Hope she's happier.

Brenda, the umbrella plant was very root bound and is now in a pot 3 x bigger than her old home.

Mitchell the palm has changed his name. He has now become Sommerset. If you read In Death you know where he comes from. He is in my room near the entrance so I can argue with him when I walk in the door. He had to have fresh soil also but he wasn't grateful so much as cranky.

Everyone else is in their winter homes, settled and happy.

Alfonso is especially happy despite the fact that he will be getting new soil and pruning in the spring. (Looking for the perfect soil mix for him I discovered that Thanksgiving/Christmas cactuses are actually rainforest plants which grow on trees. He needs a mix of bark and soil but we will wait until after he blooms for that.)

Those of you who don't know or remember, Alfonso is a cross-dresser who dons beautiful pink blooms that have a penis-like stamen in the center. I don't have a pic available of him right now but here is a thumbnail of a pic of a Thanksgiving cactus bloom from bing images:

 
Why is he especially happy right now? He, like many other cross-dressers, is straight. He is ecstatic because he is spending the winter on the shelf with the newest edition to our plantdom - the ladies of the Cat Steven's fan club.
 
See, La Diabla, the cactus, died. She left behind a beautiful teacup pot. I have been on a low-key search for new tenants for a while now. Recently I was in the nursery looking around and there, off by themselves was a pot full of spider plants looking for a new home. There are lots of them and they don't go by specific names but they all like to listen to Cat Stevens. (Which made them perfect for the teacup pot as their favorite album is Tea For the Tillerman.)
 
Anyway, I predict that Alfonso will be sending love babies into their home very soon as he has little buds at the ends of his stems and he soon will be ablaze with pink flowers with little stamen-penises.
 
It's a love fest around here, y'all.
 

What does the soft animal of your body love?



5 comments:

  1. Books, reading, writing, drawing: all of which I am craving. Sweaters (and now that I'm back in the northwest, sweaters are a necessity), warm socks, and fluffy comforters (ditto). Big mugs of tea and spicey cookies and warm smells in the kitchen. Warm conversations with friends. Petting a cat and hearing it purr. Moving my body (which I have not been doing in quite a while).

    And that's that for now! Thanks for sharing your list. And I am so amused that you renamed Mitch to Sommerset!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I open curtains so he has light, he likes to swipe at me with his spiky palm fronds. Seemed appropriate to call him Sommerset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love reading the J.D. Robb "Death" series. But I have a recommendation. Make sure you keep a list somewhere of which ones you have read. I had to stop buying them because I kept re-buying the same ones. "Innocence in Death" "Guilty in Death": who can remember which to buy? TJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony - yeah I can see that. I have a check off list. I can be compulsive about series reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our new basil died. After the re-potting. We mourn. And eat blandly.

    ReplyDelete