Thursday, July 30, 2015

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is road trip worthy!


Don't get me started on the trip to Memphis itself. I'll address that later.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is not just a great writer. She is a captivating speaker and a humorous storyteller. She is gracious to her fans. I'm an even bigger fan now than I was before actually meeting her.

She is signing my book and clutched in my hands is a red lobster sucker. She plays a trivia game using her books and winners get a sucker.

I won by knowing before anyone else where this quote came from:

"It wasn't everyday a guy saw a headless beaver marching down the side of a road, not even in Dean Robillard's larger-than-life world."
Comes from Natural Born Charmers, of course. I knew it right away but I stuck my hand up after "headless."

Then she told an amusing anecdote about where that idea came from. I won't spoil it for you in case you get to hear her speak somewhere.

There was a question and answer section where people discussed all of her books. And she answered questions. And she gave inside looks at her thoughts and processes.

I am so glad I went.

She talked about Heroes Are My Weakness some, too. I  put a half page in a blog about what she said about it before I read it but I haven't really talked about how much I liked it and why.

And BTW it got lukewarm reviews but it is one of my favorites. First read was good. Second read was really good. Third read I loved it.

I will blog in more detail about that later.

Now about actually getting to Memphis. It sucked. I got lost. So lost I had to pull over and call home and get help to find my way there. I don't know what it is with me and Memphis. Last time I went there I could not find my way home. This time I had trouble getting there but I got home okay. Well, I say I got home okay. Actually 3 different times I followed the map and knew right away the map was wrong, turned back and I was right - the map had been wrong. 3 times. If you knew what a bad sense of direction I have you would be amazed at this.

Anyhoo - I made it there and back. This was my first road trip in Danica Trish and she did wonderfully.  Yes my car has a first and a middle name. Danica for obvious reasons. After driving a van for years my little Kia Forte feels like a race car. Trish after Trisha Yearwood. I watch her cooking show all the time. She was talking with a celebrity guest once, don't remember who. They were talking about how much time they spend dressed up, made up etc. Trisha said - "Well, I think about 20% of the time I am .... showered." That's about how often I clean DT.

Gonna put up one more pic and then off to bed. It was fun to meet SEP and now I will be re-reading Heroes and Natural Born Charmer and ... and... and...


3 comments:

  1. Oh, what fun! I love SEP. I haven't read Heroes Are My Weakness yet, but it's in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - It got lukewarm reviews from a lot of her fans but I'm not sure why because I loved it. And yes - it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you went and had a great time! Love your blouse.

    I have a terrible sense of direction, always getting lost.

    ReplyDelete