Monday, October 26, 2015

Sunday paradelle* # 1



Zzzzz’s; Coffee

I slept fast in a chill room deep under 68 blankets
I slept fast in a chill room deep under 68 blankets
I dreamed of cool McQueen; hypnotic blue eyes; Mustang
I dreamed of cool McQueen; hypnotic blue eyes; Mustang
hypnotic blankets dreamed cool in 68 blue Mustang
slept McQueen chill under I; a fast room of deep eyes; I

I disco napped; woke up foggy - vaguely remembering
I disco napped; woke up foggy - vaguely remembering
I licked Tom Hardy on tempting lips I’ll never meet
I licked Tom Hardy on tempting lips I’ll never meet
vaguely tempting Tom remembering licked foggy up
Hardy napped on I - lips never woke; I’ll disco meet I

I drank double espresso with shots of London and Paris
I drank double espresso with shots of London and Paris
I rinsed my cup; silky brown crema down the drain
I rinsed my cup; silky brown crema down the drain
and rinsed silky Paris of brown shots with my espress
drain down I double London drank the crema cup;

Judith Ann Jennings

Definitely paradelle worthy!

*A paradelle is a poetic form that started as a joke. Former US Poet Laureate Billy Collins published a poem titled “Paradelle for Susan” footnoted to claim the paradelle was a demanding French form from the 11th century. He later admitted it was a parody of strict forms like the villanelle. His hoax resulted in an anthology published by Red Hen Press in 2006 with an introduction by Collins.
(This information taken almost word for word from Robert Lee Brewer’s column Poetic Asides in the Writers Digest October 2015)
They are indeed challenging and amusing to write.

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I had to look up the rules -- it sounds complicated! But entertaining to construct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. I have thoughts for another one next Sunday. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete