Sunday, March 27, 2016

Passage every writer can identify with...

From the Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Main character Charlie has just finished reading a great book (which I never liked so I'm not going to name it here) and it inspired him to write.

"...,so I sat down and tried to write a story.
     "Ian MacArthur is a wonderful sweet fellow who wears glasses and peers out of them with delight."
That was the first sentence. The problem was that I just couldn't think of the next one*. After cleaning my room three times**, I decided to leave Ian alone for a while because I was starting to get mad at him***."

*been there
**done that
***I feel you, Charlie, I feel you!

Reading Perks was a strong reading sensation. It is a book that it is hard to say one enjoys but I certainly am glad that I read it. It worries me that it is so freely recommended for young adults, though. I would hope that any young adult reading it would have a healthy-minded adult that they could have real uninhibited conversations with. My granddaughter wants to read it and I'm glad I have read it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment