Tuesday, May 17, 2016

One voter's frustration

I went to a Senator Sanders rally on Sunday. And I was so excited to vote for him in Kentucky's primary today.

Maybe you have a different bent politically. But I bet you can still empathize with my frustration today.

I went to vote and I could not. That's right - I did not get to vote.

I have moved around a lot in my life. A lot.

In 2001 I spent a brief 4 month period living in Kentucky, licensed to drive and registered to vote as "other" party. 911 happened, I was out of a job and I moved back to California where I had a job. I was licensed to drive and registered to vote in California in 2002 and 2003.

In 2003 I moved back to Kentucky and by 2004 I was licensed to drive here and registered to vote as a democrat. I have been here ever since then.

I read a speech by Barack Obama long before he ran for president. In 2008 I voted in the democratic primary for him. You have to be registered as a democrat to do that. Since then I have voted in more than one primary and general election.

So imagine my surprise today when I went to vote for Senator Sanders in the primary and could not. They had me registered again as "other" party.

When I went to voter registration to appeal all she had was that card from 2001 and her computer records only go back to 2010.

What the hell happened to the card I filled out in 2004 that allowed me to vote in democratic primaries until now?

People would rather believe I am lying or don't know what I'm doing rather than face the fact that there are real issues with the voting system in this country and those issues are making it hard or even impossible for people to vote.

Isn't it ironic that one reason I want to vote for Senator Sanders is because I believe he will do everything in his power to change the voting system in this country back to one person one vote with a much easier way of proving you are that one person.

Go Bernie. Sorry I could not help you today.

Whether you are for Bernie or someone else I hope you voted today. If you are a woman 96 years ago you couldn't vote. If you are not caucasion 146 years ago you couldn't vote. If you are me, you couldn't vote today.

You better believe I will be voting in November. Hope you will, too. 

2 comments:

  1. How frustrating for you! I would be so upset if that happened. I've got to admit to being really unexcited about voting systems that rely on computers, though. Sure, people and paper can make mistakes, but if you've watched any Person of Interest, you'll know why I'm slightly paranoid about letting computers run our elections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what he will propose beyond one person, one vote - no super delegates, caucuses, super pacs or the like. I have every confidence that there is someone out there with a good system of proving who I am, etc and I am confident Bernie will find that person.
      Also - I will be sending you an email later tonight. Before I got so frustrated I was working on my wip.

      Delete