Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The Art of Racing In the Rain by Garth Stein

I am currently in a book club called You Read Like A Girl.

Pick number one is a book written by a boy. If you have read my blog much you know, I'm not often drawn to the male voice in the books I read.

This book was easier to read than most.

If you are in the book club and you haven't finished the book, warning, I have and there will be spoilers here. (I have to review it all as it is due back to the library.)

Things I liked:

I liked the usage of the dogs point of view and enjoyed reading those parts.

I liked the introduction into the racing world.

I liked Denny's relationship with his daughter. I love fathers who are engaged in their children's lives in positive ways.

There are really nice passages in the book that are definitely truths wrapped in fiction. Like this one:


"Often things happen to race cars in the heat of the race...When faced with one of these problems, the poor driver crashes. The average driver gives up. THE GREAT DRIVERS DRIVE THROUGH THE PROBLEM. They figure out a way to continue racing....To be able to possess a machine in such a way is the ultimate show of determination and awareness. IT MAKES ONE REALIZE THAT THE PHYSICALITY OF OUR WORLD IS A BOUNDARY TO US ONLY IF OUR WILL IS WEAK; a true champion can accomplish things that a normal person would think impossible." Garth Stein

Things I didn't like:

Eve. Probably bitchy of me but I just never liked her.

The thing I hated: SPOILER ALERT:

I don't like it when books, movies, or tv use a girl or woman lying about sexual assault as part of their plots.

I know it happens in real life. But I think it is very, very rare.

What is more common is a girl or woman being assaulted, telling the truth, and not being believed. Or being too afraid to tell anyone for fear she won't be believed.

It ruined the book for me.

Feminist is a label I wear proudly and I don't like books, movies, television that make life harder for all of us in the human tribe.

I am happy that the next book we will be reading is The Wanderground by Sally Miller Gearhart. I think it will establish balance.

9 comments:

  1. I personally felt sorry for Anika. I thought her anger seemed from a place of shame. Young women are often taught that everyman want to have sex with them always. Here's Dennys turning her down. She isn't mature enough to know how to handel rejection. She feels like something must be wrong with her. I get your point of view and agree that the false aqusation bit is over used and lends to a sort of validation in rape culture. I wish it had been written differently also. But over all I loved the book. Loved Enzo and cried like a baby when he died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am generally not a reader and almost everything that I've ever read has been a series or trilogy. This is the first book I've read since highschool, and I loved it. I loved the voice. It was very easy to read. Fluid. I hated Eve at first, but I grew to love her. I identified with her stubborn nature. There are many more things that could be said, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for commenting. Your comment duped so I deleted the second one.
      Glad you enjoyed the book. I also liked the authors voice and the way it flowed.

      Delete
    2. Hey thanks for commenting. Your comment duped so I deleted the second one.
      Glad you enjoyed the book. I also liked the authors voice and the way it flowed.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the book. I personally had many different emotions through the book. Mad Angry Sad Happy and just plain hurt that someone had to endure so much pain. I loved that it was from a dog's point of view. I loved how he never gave up. I just don't understand how people can want to hurt others like the grandparents did

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the book. I personally had many different emotions through the book. Mad Angry Sad Happy and just plain hurt that someone had to endure so much pain. I loved that it was from a dog's point of view. I loved how he never gave up. I just don't understand how people can want to hurt others like the grandparents did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. He wrote a powerful book capable of leading me through many emotions and I like that in a book - or I should say a book that has a happy ending - like this one. I was so sorry when his dog died even though it was old age. But I was very happy that he got his daughter back.

      Delete